Editorial Board

Syverud must meet with protesters sitting in Crouse-Hinds Hall

THE General Body’s sit-in needs to end before Thanksgiving break, and Chancellor Kent Syverud needs to be the one to end it.

The sit-in began on Nov. 3 and members of THE General Body said they will sit until Syverud makes a public and written statement to the university community, committing to a plan of action that addresses each item listed in the grievances and needs/solutions document, according to THE General Body’s website.

The ongoing sit-in is creating tension among different parts of campus. It’s distracting students from their classes. It’s affecting business operations at Crouse-Hinds and potentially affecting prospective students. But it can’t fall on the protesters to just pack up and leave.

Syverud needs to do what he was brought here to do — lead the university. The protesters have made it clear they will sit in Crouse-Hinds hall through Thanksgiving Break. Syverud cannot continue to delegate negotiation responsibilities; he needs to meet face-to-face with the protesters in Crouse-Hinds. There can be no more sending others and no more vague emails to the campus referencing the sit-in — Syverud should act like the head of this university and meet with these protesters for as long as it takes to come to a resolution.

This doesn’t mean giving in to THE General Body’s demands, or that he has to agree to more than what was presented in his final response. But it does mean he must take action to address what is currently happening in his administration building. Even if this action is ordering the protesters out, it’s something that he needs to do himself, as chancellor of Syracuse University.

THE General Body should be commended for bringing university issues to light. But members should also be prepared that every demand on their document may not be met. If that is the case, they deserve to hear that directly from Syverud.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board urges the chancellor to meet with the protesters in Crouse-Hinds Hall and finally bring this sit-in to an end.