Volleyball

Syracuse fails to win a set for 3rd straight match in loss to Virginia Tech

For the third game in a row, Syracuse failed to win a set. The Orange (8-21, 1-16 Atlantic Coast) lost in three sets to Virginia Tech (16-14, 9-8) on Friday, 25-19, 25-21 and 25-16, in front of a crowd of 132 in the Women’s Building.

Virginia Tech took a 7-3 lead to start the first set, but a kill by Syracuse outside hitter Silvi Uattara tied the game at 12 before right side hitter Monika Salkute followed with a kill of her own to give SU a 13-12 lead. Virginia Tech responded, though, scoring four straight points. SU never took the lead again and the set ended, 25-19.

The second set was more tightly contested with the lead changing three times and the score being tied seven times. The two teams traded points early, battling to a score of 8-8 until an attack error by SU middle blocker Lindsay McCabe capped a five-point run by the Hokies.

Later in the frame, Uattara converted on a set from setter Lucie Guttakovskaia to bring the Orange within two, 23-21, but two kills by Virginia Tech ended the set.

Mistakes cost SU in the third frame. The Orange committed 11 errors and the game ended, 25-16, on an attack error by setter Gosia Wlaszczuk.

McCabe finished the game with three total blocks and is now just two blocks away from tying Jessica Paarlberg for second on Syracuse’s all-time total blocks list. Her last chance to move up on the list will come on Friday when the Orange hosts Virginia at 7 p.m. in its final game of the season.

-Compiled by Jon Mettus, staff writer, jrmettus@syr.edu