Ice Hockey

Syracuse can’t convert on power plays in 2-2 draw with Robert Morris

For the first 40 seconds of Syracuse’s overtime power-play opportunity, the Orange couldn’t put a shot on net. There were just over two minutes left in the extra period, and SU ultimately only forced Robert Morris goalie Jessica Dodds to make two saves during the advantage — her only two during overtime.

Syracuse (3-6-6, 2-1-2 College Hockey America) squandered its fifth power-play opportunity of the game and tied Robert Morris (4-9-2, 1-3-1), 2-2, on Friday. The sixth draw on the season ties a program a record for ties in a season.

Forward Stephanie Grossi put the Orange on the board just three and a half minutes into the game with her fourth goal of the season and her team-high 15th point. It was her only point of the night, though, ending her three-game streak of multi-point games.

Just two minutes later, Robert Morris forward Rikki Meilleur scored on a power-play opportunity after SU defenseman Kaillie Goodnough went to the penalty box for boarding.

Early in the second period, forward Mackenzie Johnston put Robert Morris ahead 2-1, until SU forward Melissa Piacentini responded with her eighth goal of the season, assisted by forward Julie Knerr.

Neither team could find the back of the net during the third period or overtime and the last 40 minutes of the game were scoreless. The Orange outshot Robert Morris 32-22 and had an additional 30 shots blocked by RMU.

Syracuse and Robert Morris will play again tomorrow at 3:05 p.m. in Moon Township, Pennsylvania.

Compiled by Jon Mettus, staff writer.