Letters to the Editor

Sexual assault services have improved, but gaps remain

The Campaign for an Advocacy Center’s primary goal is the best possible support for survivors of sexual and relationship violence. We seek to avoid confusing those who need these services, even while we criticize the process by which the changes were made, and address the remaining gaps in services.

We assert that confusion persists about services because the administration has been continually modifying them since September 2013, when the Advocacy Center’s confidentiality status was changed by the administration. Administrators have failed to effectively communicate the nature of many of these changes. For instance, stickers on many bathroom stalls still advertise the long-renamed R.A.P.E. Center.

Though the initial restructuring of services overlooked many important needs, we believe that, in response to the groundswell of community involvement and concern, the university has since improved the new support services. Specific examples include the increase in staff for the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team from two to five; the SRVRT’s policy for meeting with students at an alternate location (eg. at a dorm) if one does not wish to meet in the Counseling Center; and the availability of advocacy services through the SRVRT, which include accompanying victims to offices on-campus, as well as off-campus appointments. We are concerned, however, about the level of awareness about the services on campus and in the community and urge the university to do more to inform everyone of their options.
One important component that remains lost, however, is a dedicated center — a safe space and resource center that also serves as a powerful symbol of the university’s solidarity with all who have been impacted by sexual and relationship violence and against rape culture. We will continue to mourn the loss of this space and work to restore it.

We encourage everyone to read the Workgroup on Sexual Assault Prevention, Education and Advocacy’s update in Thursday’s Daily Orange. Additionally, we urge anyone who needs privileged, confidential support services right now or in the future to reach out to either the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team at (315) 443-4715 or Vera House at (315) 468-3260.

In closing, we encourage everyone to come to the listening meeting on Monday, Oct. 27, from 4–5:30 p.m. in 304 Schine to share concerns about the shift in services and the general campus climate on sexual assault and consent.

On behalf of The Campaign for an Advocacy Center at SU,
Farrell Brenner, ‘17, citizenship & civic engagement and women’s & gender studies majors; Becca Shaw Glaser, creative writing MFA ‘15; Brittany Moore, ‘15, student engagement chair, student association; Patrick Neary, GSO president, PhD candidate, mathematics; Derek Ford, PhD candidate, cultural foundations of education; Erin Carhart, Alumna ‘14 B.A. policy studies and women’s and gender studies