Here’s what happened this week: Oprah visits SU, Syracuse stage season kicks off, freshman kicker takes starting spot

Here is a round-up of the top stories published by The Daily Orange this week:

NEWS

O my gosh

Oprah Winfrey joined other members of the Syracuse community Monday as she attended the dedication for the newly renovated studios at Newhouse II. Click here.

It ain’t easy being green

SU community members gathered outside of Hendricks Chapel to rally for the university to take its investments out of fossil fuels. They were joined by gubernatorial candidate Howie Hawkins. Click here.

Happy holidays

SU administrators, students and members of the athletics department have been working to accommodate Jewish students due to Friday’s home football game conflicting with services for Yom Kippur. Click here.

SPORTS

Kicking and screaming

Walk-on freshman kicker Cole Murphy was called on to make a 49-yard field goal against Maryland on Sept. 20. After making it, he has come into his own as SU’s new starting kicker. Click here.

Notre damned

Syracuse was picked apart on Saturday by Notre Dame’s offense. The Irish showcased the attack that the Orange tried to emulate, but can’t be yet. Click here.

Keeping busy

Coming from a family of football players, wide receiver Ben Lewis has channeled his hard work into the start of a breakout season for Syracuse. Click here.

FEATURES

Opening night
Syracuse Stage kicked off its 42nd season last Friday with its production of Christopher Durang’s “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike.” The Tony Award winning comedy conveys the theme of nostalgia in a changing society. Click here.

Delivery service
Senior Hannah Fagut is set to launch her business CNYFoodToGo, a delivery service that works with local businesses, including Pastabilities, The Mission Restaurant, Lemon Grass and Brooklyn Pickle. Click here.

Picture perfect
Gregory Heisler’s photos have appeared on the covers of distinguished magazines such as Time, GQ, Esquire and Sports Illustrated. He joined the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications faculty this semester as a professor of photography. Click here.