Guard depth, Day sisters highlight Syracuse women’s basketball Orange Madness scrimmage

Bryan Cereijo | Staff Photographer

Syracuse women's basketball head coach Quentin Hillsman rolls out to Orange Madness in an old-school red car.

Syracuse fans got their first chance to see the women’s team in action during its Orange Madness intrasquad scrimmage on Friday night at the Carrier Dome. Here are five observations from the 8-minute, running-clock game:

Depth at point guard

Sophomore Alexis Peterson started at point for the blue team and senior Cornelia Fondren started for the orange team. Maggie Morrison and Diamond Henderson also ran the point. Fondren hit the game-winning shot for the orange team with 11 seconds to go, but Peterson was the most refined guard on the court. She didn’t fill up the stat sheet, but did a good job finding teammates and controlling possession. Morrison, on the other hand, was 1-of-4 from the field, including two air balls and a shot that was blocked.

Day sisters improve 

During media day earlier in the afternoon, SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said that Bria Day had developed an outside shot. The 6-foot-4 sophomore tried to showcase it right away and took two 3-pointers, including one that would have been a game-winner as time expired. Briana Day, boasting a new two-toned hairstyle, scored the first basket of the game just seconds in and was getting open opportunities and rebounds throughout the scrimmage.

Witherspoon and Van Dyke lack athleticism

Amber Witherspoon has the size and makeup to be an Atlantic Coast Conference starter, but her performance Friday night indicated that she’s not there yet skill-wise. In her first opportunity, a pass from Peterson tipped off her fingers and out of bounds. On another chance later in the scrimmage, her layup was blocked. The 6-foot-6 Michelle Van Dyke had a wide-open layup that hit the backboard and rim and bounced out.

Taylor Ford’s a scoring threat

Ford accounted for seven of the orange team’s 11 points. She scooped in an up-and-under layup before hitting a 3 moments later. In her final attempt of the night, she created space under the basket and scored immediately after catching the inbounds pass. On the defensive end, Ford blocked a Bria Day shot despite an four-inch difference. Ford scored just 5.3 points per game off the bench last season, but Hillsman said she’ll be in consideration for a starting role this year.

Hillsman has swagger

The ninth-year head coach rolled up – literally – into the Carrier Dome in a solid red low-rider, with “Man on Fire” blasting in the background. Wearing a Syracuse track suit and dark-rimmed glasses, he strolled out on to the court before telling the cameras that the goal for the season was to “just win.”