Women's soccer

Syracuse offense stalls, defense allows early score in 1-goal loss at Louisville

It took Louisville just more than two minutes to score against Syracuse. The Cardinals’ Erin Yenney scored off a corner kick and Louisville never looked back.

In Syracuse’s first Atlantic Coast Conference game of the season, the Orange (3-3-3, 0-1-0 ACC) fell to Louisville (4-4, 1-0) by a score of 1-0 on Friday night in Louisville, Kentucky. SU didn’t record a shot in the first half and was outshot 10-3 in total. It was Syracuse’s second 1-0 loss of the season.

After giving up the early goal, the Orange defense held strong for the following 88 minutes. Though the defense did its job, the offense never broke through. SU’s Jessica Vigna tallied two shots and Maya Pitts took one.

In SU’s previous game, a 2-2 tie with Drexel, the Orange also allowed a goal off a corner kick.

SU freshman goalie Courtney Brosnan and sophomore Emma Firenze each made their first career starts. Brosnan was originally expected by head coach Phil Wheddon to be the starting goalie, but she was injured during warm-ups of a preseason scrimmage. She made four saves.

Firenze, who is the sister of fellow SU midfielder Jackie Firenze, missed her entire freshman year with an injury. Wheddon has said he was counting on her to potentially be a starter in 2013. This season, Firenze has progressively worked her way into the lineup.

-Compiled by staff writer Paul Schwedelson, pmschwed@syr.edu.