Editorial Board

Middle East expansion shows promise

Syracuse University’s decision to expand its presence in the Middle East shows promise, as it could increase the university’s international recognition and provide students with more internship opportunities. But SU should ensure that its influence reaches all parts of the Middle East and not just westernized countries.

On Friday, the university announced its intention to increase its presence. According to the university, Chancellor Kent Syverud appointed the previous secretary to the Board of Trustees as the senior vice president for principal gifts and international advancement. James O’Connor, the executive director of Middle East advancement and external affairs, will now work solely in that region. The goal of these appointments is to further support from the Board of Trustees and expand SU’s international development efforts, according to the university.

O’Connor said that for students, there will be increased internship opportunities in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. He also will work to recruit international students from those areas. Syverud has made it an “institutional priority” to expand SU’s reach in the Middle East, O’Connor said.

While focusing on wealthier, more westernized countries makes sense for recruiting new students and establishing internships, it is important for SU to continue to promote its World Partner Programs that offer study abroad programs in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia and other Middle Eastern locations. Prioritizing wealthy, westernized countries can feel limiting to some students looking to experience more immersion into world cultures.

SU has the opportunity to become an internationally recognized program for students interested in focusing on Middle-Eastern studies. The university also recently introduced an Arabic minor into the College of Arts and Sciences, due to the increasing number of students wanting to learn about the Middle East. This is the first step toward the Arabic department creating an Arabic major.

With its increased focus on the Middle East here and abroad, SU could build an influential international presence. But while building the foundation for global recognition, it must maintain its reach in all Middle Eastern countries, not just the ones with the wealthiest assets.