From the Studio

London calling: Syracuse local raps about personal life, vulnerabilities

Courtesy of Margaret Lin

Demerris Bufford, a line cook at Pastabilities, is attempting to launch a career in music. Bufford, whose stage name is “London,” has been writing original material since he was 13 years old. He raps about his hometown Syracuse and expresses his vulnerabilities through his music.

Demerris Bufford is no ordinary Pastabilities employee.

When he’s not working as a line cook, the 25-year-old Syracuse native is also an aspiring rapper. Bufford, who is known by his stage name, “London,” has been writing original material since the age of 13.

Bufford first began recording music his freshman year at Monroe Community College in Rochester alongside Syracuse resident Will Cooper. With encouragement from Cooper, Bufford decided to seriously pursue a career in music.

“At the time, it was just a hobby. I loved music but I never thought I would actually put 100 percent into it,” Bufford said. “I started recording more and more, and I started getting better. And before you know it, it was a full-time thing for me.”

The more time he spent writing and recording music, the more Bufford strived to produce original songs. After using other artists’ instrumentals, Bufford said he decided to buy his own “beats” and networked with various producers via Twitter.

Cooper, Bufford’s close friend, has watched Bufford’s music evolve for more than five years. He believes that the greatest quality of Bufford’s music is its ability to relate to all people in all situations.

“Now, it’s almost like poetry,” Cooper said. “He’s taking on real-life things that most people can relate to, not just one core audience. His music is broader.”

Bufford added that he wants his audience to understand his life experiences through his music. He always stays true to himself, in the studio and onstage.

“I’m still an up-and-comer, so there’s not a lot of people in (my) audience. But no matter if there’s 100 people or five people — if it’s an audience of my closest friends or a bunch of strangers — I’m always the same person,” Bufford said. “I always come with that energy every time. I want to make that connection between me and the crowd.”

Bufford said his music is different in the way that it isn’t focused on drugs or violence, but rather on his vulnerabilities, using his music as a means to better express himself. As a lyricist, Bufford said his goal is to make listeners feel like they’re hearing stories about a reality that may be different than their own, but that they can still relate to.

Although Bufford’s message is one of sharing life experiences, he wants his audience to understand that he is growing as an artist and that he has just launched his career.

“I just really want people to know that your favorite artist has started somewhere. Your favorite artist was once where I am,” Bufford said. “Nobody wakes up and is having a record deal and is getting 200 million views on YouTube. Up-and-comers, starving artists — just give them a chance.”

Bufford continues to self-record, and although he hasn’t spent extensive time in an official recording studio, he still manages to produce new material and improve his recording quality by using updated computer software and watching YouTube tutorials.

He said he also hopes to positively influence his listeners through his lyrics and sound.

“My biggest dream out of all of this would be to be able to be heard and be accepted,” Bufford said. “For my music to be heard and for you to enjoy it, and for it to be able to change your mood from bad to good or make you dance and uplift you and you know, just get you out of that slump that you (may have) been going through.”

His latest single, “Goodfellas” features Upstate New York artist Taj Mahal. They are working on a music video, which Bufford hopes will lead to the next step in his career.

“This’ll be the defining moment,” Bufford said about the video. “This’ll be if they like London or not, and if they do, then we’re going to go from here, and if they don’t, then we’re going to keep going until they do.”

Check out London’s music below: