Women's soccer

Lamontagne’s double-overtime goal gives Syracuse win over Vermont

Entering double overtime, Syracuse head coach Phil Wheddon told forwards Alex Lamontagne and Maya Pitts to attack Vermont’s defense. He wanted his team to send more long passes behind the defense and be more direct toward the goal.

The Orange did exactly that in the 102nd minute, resulting in Lamontagne’s game-winning goal off a breakaway. She got behind Vermont’s defense and slotted the ball past Catamounts goalie Ally Ramos and into the bottom-right corner of the net.

Following senior midfielder Hanna Strong’s indefinite suspension on Saturday, Syracuse (3-1-2) defeated the Catamounts (2-3) 3-2 on Sunday at Beyer-Small ‘76 Field in the Colgate Nike Classic in Hamilton, New York. Pitts and Stephanie Skilton each scored in the first 15 minutes to give the Orange a two-goal lead. SU outshot the Catamounts 30-8, but struggled to connect passes and avoid pressure after the first two goals, Wheddon said.

“Anytime you have 30 shots, you would anticipate a few more would go in,” Wheddon said. “Credit to their goalkeeper who had a very good game, but we were very, very poor in front of the goal.”

Syracuse led 2-0 at halftime but allowed goals in the 57th and 85th minute. The Orange did not step to UVM’s players on defense, giving them time to make passes from the midfield and move upfield, leading to both second-half goals.

This was SU’s third overtime game this season, which causes concern for Wheddon. After squandering so many opportunities, he was disappointed his team couldn’t win in regulation. Though Syracuse has not dominated every game, the experience is valuable.

“That’s the positive, that physically, we’re in shape to do it and we have the ability to come through and win the game,” Wheddon said.

Wheddon specifically cited Syracuse’s midfield as being problematic against the Catamounts. Players turned into pressure when they should have turned away from pressure. When attempting simple passes it normally makes, the Orange failed at times.

Though SU struggled for the last 80 minutes, it played with urgency and rhythm early on. Passing was better in the first 20 minutes, allowing Syracuse to create opportunities and score twice.

“It was a hard-fought win,” Wheddon said. “Vermont worked very hard and got back into the game but at the end of the day, we’re 3-1-2 and we still have three games on our nonconference schedule left to play.”