Women's Soccer

Koval sparks Syracuse with equalizing goal, energy off the bench in 1-1 tie against UConn

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Alexis Koval came off the bench and provided Syracuse's only goal in its 1-1 tie with UConn on Monday afternoon.

With about 10 minutes left in the first half of the game, Alexis Koval jogged in place on the sideline, waiting for a stoppage in play so she could enter Monday afternoon’s contest against Connecticut.

A little over a minute after entering the game, Koval arced home a header off Taylor Haenlin’s throw-in into the top-left corner, tying the game in the process.

Despite being outshot 19-14, Syracuse (1-1-2) played UConn (2-1-1) to a 1-1 double-overtime tie on Monday afternoon at SU Soccer Stadium. After replacing a tired Alex Lamontagne, Koval’s 37th-minute goal sparked the Orange back into the game and helped SU execute its high-tempo game plan.

“The goal brought the energy back up, which is what we needed,” said Koval. “It was important to get that in before we started up the second half so we could start fresh.”

SU head coach Phil Wheddon decided to ride some of Koval’s energy into the second half and she continued to create opportunities.

Koval led the team in total shots, three, two of which were shots on goal. Before the game, Wheddon said he told Koval to use her speed and athleticism to create danger in the 18-yard box.

“She’s a pain in the backside to play against because she’s so active,” Wheddon said. “We told her to run at their back line and it worked.”

The team is working on maintaining a high tempo. Koval was one of six players that Wheddon sent off the bench as he used the Orange’s depth to maintain his desired speed of play.

As someone who typically plays every minute of every game and saw action for all 110 minutes on Monday, midfielder Jackie Firenze is especially appreciative of the boost Koval provides off the bench.

“She is huge for us, to have someone come off the bench and be an impact player right away is awesome,” said Firenze. “It gives the team an interesting dynamic.”

In Friday’s 5-1 win against Albany, Koval came off the bench and totaled four shots on goal and an assist.

On a team half fullof freshmen and transfers, Koval also provides leadership from the bench, Wheddon said.

Wheddon stresses that each and every player on his team is competing for playing time. Koval might be winning that competition though, especially if she continues to create and score.

“Scoring goals helps playing time tremendously,” said Wheddon. “We need to be diligent defensively, but scoring goals is something we look for from all of our forwards as they battle for playing time.”