From the Calendar

Guinness gracious: Syracuse Irish Festival to celebrate 15 years with beer and cider garden

Courtesy of Marty Cahill

The 15th Syracuse Irish Festival, will feature a beer and cider garden, where customers can purchase Irish staples like Guinness and Magner’s Irish Cider.

The Syracuse Irish Festival is the perfect opportunity for students to eat, drink and be merry, and this year’s newest addition of a beer and cider garden was designed to give the festival a pub-like atmosphere.

If you’re Irish and looking to get in touch with your roots, or maybe just enjoy a good beer and great music, then you’ll want to stop by Clinton Square this weekend for the Syracuse Irish Festival, which celebrates its 15th anniversary. What began in 1999 as a four-band lineup in front of Kitty Hoyne’s Irish Pub & Restaurant has since grown to be the No. 1 free festival in the Northeast.

Each year the festival promises eccentric Irish rock music as its main attraction, but this year’s newest attraction may steal the spotlight. Tom Burke, long-time volunteer and a member of the festival’s board of directors, said this year they’re changing the footprint of the festival.

The placement of the traditional stage, which spotlights smaller acts, and the Magner’s stage, which features the festival’s headliners, have been relocated to make room for the festival’s most recent addition — a beer and cider garden. A massive 18-wheel Guinness beer truck will make its festival debut, coming all the way from New York City.

Two separate tents will extend off the truck with high bar tables, creating a pub-themed beer garden with a perfect view of the Magner stage. Guinness, Magner’s Irish Cider and Smithwick’s Irish Ale will be served, and the tent will include an open stage for any of the participating bands or any guests itching to sing or play an instrument, but strictly Irish music.

“Most years at the festival, people feel like there’s a lot of standing around, so that’s why we decided to add the beer and cider garden this year,” said Marty Cahill, the festival’s co-chair. “It gives it more of an Irish theme, so people feel like they’re actually at a pub. There’s going to be a lot of people there and a lot of interaction.”

Since entrance to the festival is free, guests will have to cover the costs of their food and relish the unlimited amount of Magners Irish Ciders that they are able to sample. Even if you are not Irish, it may be worth the trip downtown to enjoy a swig of beer and live music.

Along with the beer and cider garden, Cahill said the usual 25–30 food and merchandise vendors will be in attendance. The vendors offer a variety of Irish goods from jewelry to stained glass, and more importantly, authentic Irish fare.

Traditional Irish meals like fish and chips and bangers and mash will be served to highlight some of Syracuse’s best Irish restaurants, as well as Kitty Hoynes’ famous Shepherds Pie, which Cahill said is always the most popular choice at the festival. Also new this year is the addition of Syracuse’s only Irish-themed food truck, Shattuck’s Paddy Wagon.

With two full days jam packed with entertainment, the Irish festival puts on quite the show while exposing local talent with performances by local bands and Irish dancing schools throughout the weekend. This year, the festival has decided to focus their concert lineup by featuring bands that have started in Syracuse and worked their way up in the local music scene.

The traditional stage will have entertainment Friday morning, but the Magner’s stage will kickoff Friday at 5 p.m. with the local band Attractive Nuisance. The local Irish band, the Flyin’ Column will also perform, making this their last show at the festival before they retire.

The Prodigals will be Friday’s closing act, with several Syracuse Irish dancing schools performing in between the bands. On Saturday, the headlining acts begin on the Magner’s stage at 11 a.m. and go until 9:45 p.m. with performances by The Causeway Giants, The Town Pants and other bands.

“They’re Irish rock bands, so there’s always a great crowd and a lot of energy,” said Burke, whose sons have volunteered backstage and in the green room.

Between the array of hearty foods, crisp drinks and live entertainment, it shouldn’t be hard to find something that fits your cup of tea, or pint of Guinness rather, at this festival.