Men's Soccer

Bono looks to move into sole possession of 2nd place on Syracuse’s all-time shutouts list

Two of the greatest goalkeepers in Syracuse soccer history will be at SU Soccer Stadium on Tuesday night.

Between the pipes for No. 20 Syracuse (4-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) wearing his customary blue jersey, blue shorts and high blue socks will be Alex Bono. With 22 career shutouts, the junior from nearby Baldwinsville, New York, is tied for second on the programs all-time shutouts list.

After allowing his first goal of the season in SUs loss on Saturday, Bono hopes to take sole possession of second place with another shutout as the Orange hosts Cornell (2-1-1) on Tuesday at 7 p.m. The goalie hes looking to surpass, Robert Cavicchia, will be watching from the stands.

Its an honor and a privilege and I dont take that lightly,Bono said. My career at Syracuse, I cant really describe it in words. I cant describe it in numbers or stats or anything. I couldnt have asked for any better of an experience, and theres so much more to go.

Cavicchia, who played at Syracuse from 20052008, will not just travel from Toronto to watch his alma mater. Hell be specifically watching Bono, whos only a junior, attempt to further etch his name alongside Joe Papaleo, Alim Karim and Kevin Bacher as one of the top keepers the school has seen.

Hopefully I will be able to congratulate Alex in person for tying and passing me on the all-time list,Cavicchia said in an email. Im looking forward to seeing him continue to move up the ranks as one of SUs all-time goalkeeping greats.

With four shutouts in Syracuses first four games this season, Bono tied Cavicchia’s 22 career shutouts in 25 fewer games. Bono trails Papaleo (1979-82) who is a family friend of Bonos by nine career shutouts, despite starting 27 fewer games than the schools all-time wins leader.

As a freshman in 2012, Bono became the first freshman keeper since Cavicchia to start a season opener, and proceeded to record a shutout in seven of his first nine games. His 10 total shutouts that year were one short of Chris Whitcomb’s (1985-88) single-season school record. 

We placed a ton of responsibility on him the moment he walked into the program,SU head coach Ian McIntyre said. Alex, from the moment he stepped in, hes been a presence back there.

Certainly you measure goalkeepers with shutouts, but its more than that. Its important times in important games making that save, but also to have the presence to calm us down when its necessary.

The juniors 434-minute shutout streak to start this season came to an end Saturday night when Syracuse lost 1-0 to visiting University of Notre Dame. Despite finishing with a season-high seven saves, Bono allowed a goal in 74th minute on a header from Irish defender Brandon Aubrey.

Of his four shutouts this year and 22 total, Bono pointed to last years shutout against Connecticut and its goalkeeper Andre Blake, Rutgers and St. Johns this year, and Cornell in the first round of the 2012 NCAA tournament as the shutouts he best remembers.

Every shutout feels the same afterward because theres a zero on the other teams score at the end of the game,Bono said. Thats important for me and the rest of the team.

Regardless of whether he comes up with a clean sheet, as hes done in over 50 percent of his career starts, Bono has established himself as what McIntyre called an elite goalkeeper.

Alex seems to be playing at the top of his game, and its great that he is high up on the records list and accomplishing so much and he is only in his junior season,Cavicchia said. The season has just begun. Hopefully he continues to play well throughout and will finish at the top of the list.