Student Association

Assembly elects members, discusses plans for Student Affairs Summit

Following Chancellor Kent Syverud’s Town Hall meeting on Monday, Student Association President Boris Gresely reminded assembly members about the importance of “working together and getting things done” in order to improve Syracuse University.

At SA’s meeting Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium, Gresely delivered a presentation about the Town Hall meeting and campus safety, the New York Public Interest Research Group gave a report, and elections for assembly positions were held.

Campus safety has been a popular topic of discussion at recent SA meetings. Assembly members have previously expressed concerns that the Department of Public Safety shifted its focus from protecting students to cracking down on parties since SU was named the top party school in the nation. Gresely decided to see for himself how DPS functions, and on Friday night he “patrolled the streets” of the university with DPS officers. He assured assembly members that “the university has a lot of eyes everywhere” and said, “it was pleasing to see that security is a top priority at SU.”

Faculty, staff and students joined the Chancellor Kent Syverud at a town hall meeting held in Hendricks Chapel on Monday afternoon to talk about the university’s Fast Forward strategic plan for the university. Gresely said faculty members “emphasized student input” in Fast Forward.

A major topic of discussion was a Student Affairs Summit, which will bring together student leaders across campus in an effort to improve student life for SU students, Gresely said. The Summit is a method of getting students involved in the chancellor’s strategic plan for SU. It will be held on Oct. 18.

Gresely called the summit “a great opportunity for student leaders across campus” and he is hoping it “will be a consistent thing where different groups of students” can meet with administration. He suggested LGBT, multicultural students, ESF and graduate students partake in the Student Affairs Summit to have their voices and concerns heard on a broader scale.

Additionally, at the town hall meeting, Gresely proposed to faculty the coordination of activities and events geared at students as an alternative to partying.

A NYPIRG representative also summarized the People’s Climate March in Manhattan on Sunday. The event, which aimed to bring attention to global climate change, drew over 400,000 participants. The representative also announced NYPIRG’s involvement with Global Frackdown. Global Frackdown is a “global initiative to ban fracking,” according to its website.

The assembly also held the first round of elections for the semester. Students were elected to represent the College of Arts and Sciences, the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamic and the College of Visual and Performing Arts. Here are the students that were elected to assembly representative positions:

Arts and Sciences:

• James Franco
  • Stephanie Haber
  • Dulce Morales
  • Lavina Sabnani
  • Juan Salcedo
  • Domenica Vera
  • Tracey Ford

Whitman:

• Jared Nelson
  • Nachanan Mekto
  • Keelan Erhard

Newhouse:

• Janine Bogris
  • Margaux Pavesi

Visual and Performing Arts:

• Connor Matthews
  • Sudan Zhuang

Falk:

• Miranda Alexander
Correction: In the Sept. 23 story “Assembly elects members, discusses plans for Student Affairs Summit” the college of Miranda Alexander was misstated. She is a student in the David. B Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.
The Daily Orange regrets this error.