Conservative

Pulliam: Paul Ryan’s new bill could increase his popularity as a presidential candidate

In a recent lecture, Arthur C. Brooks, President of the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank, pointed out that conservatives need to stop being against things, and start being for people. Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin seems to have taken that message to heart when he revealed “Expanding Opportunity in America,” a new anti-poverty plan, a week and a half ago.

The main centerpiece of the plan is the “Opportunity Grant,” which streamlines federal funding to individual states, who use that money on welfare programs as they see fit. It’s designed to make federal spending more efficient, and, therefore, cut it in the long run. Additionally, it allows states the flexibility to specialize their welfare programs to fit the needs of their people, rather than have Washington dictate policy for the nation as a whole. However, what separates the Opportunity Grant from similar block grant policies is that there will be federal oversight on what states spend the money on. In other words, the states will be forced to spend the incoming cash on poverty-related programs, and nothing else.

Politically, this plan could be a home run for the GOP and Rep. Ryan.  Many right-wingers (including myself) have declared the long-running War on Poverty — a series of federal legislation passed by President Johnson in the mid ‘60s with the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 as its centerpiece — to be a failure. Ryan’s bill could turn the tide on a losing battle and, in turn, increase his popularity as a candidate.

Rep. Ryan has taken up the needed leadership to fix this problem and help people. Instead of sticking to the status quo, or throwing more money at ineffective federal programs like many liberals want, Rep. Ryan shows how to move forward on an issue.

While Ryan may not score many points with hardline conservatives, this bill could catapult him as the leading moderate candidate for the Presidential Election in 2016 . If Ryan could head into the primaries with enough steam, his national recognition coupled with his reform-minded stances could bode well for the former Vice Presidential nominee.

Rep. Ryan’s plan represents the kind of conservatism that an average voter can get behind. A form of conservatism that emphasizes helping people, while also shrinking the federal government, and promoting state governments could be very appealing to a national electorate in 2016. While I am sure Ryan genuinely cares about helping people, I bet he is also looking toward his future.

Most polling of GOP presidential candidates for 2016 show Ryan right in the race. In a July 28 Fox News poll, Ryan found himself tied for fifth at 9% and trailing front runners Governor Rick Perry of Texas and Former Governor Jeb Bush of Florida by three points, which is well within the margin of error. Similarly, a CNN/ORC poll released on July 29 shows Ryan tied for fourth at 11%, trailing Chris Christie by four points, which is, again, within the margin of error. With a crowded field, these numbers are very promising. Regardless of the success or failure of Ryan’s plan, introducing this proposed legislation will help keep him relevant in the lead up to 2016.

Chris Pulliam is a sophomore policy studies and political science major.  His column appears weekly.  He can be reached at clpullia@syr.edu