Sex and Health

Zukin: Clothing can aid in workouts, motivate better exercise habits

Sometimes we get occasional bursts of sporty energy. Sometimes we search “fitspiration” on Pinterest or try different juice recipes.

But with a new wardrobe, those short-lived moments of athleticism never need to end.

Exercise clothing has made its way into everyday fashion. By wearing brand name apparel during the day, one creates the illusion that she is a gym fiend and that she has her act together.

Lululemon leggings are a staple item in many college girls’ closets. Although sometimes they are worn to the gym, these workout pants are typically worn with regular clothing —to class, to run errands and so on.

There is a symbolic meaning to wearing athletic clothing. It can encourage an active lifestyle, even for self-proclaimed slugs. Also, in the case of expensive brands like Lululemon, one might feel the need to wear her clothing as often as possible as a means of justifying cost.

Although quality, long-lasting, sweat-wicking material is not cheap, there are some alternatives for those on a budget. Gap is a step below Athleta or Lululemon, but still provides durable clothing. Stores like Target have cheaper apparel as well. And, considering that it psychologically is more about “the exercise look” than the actual clothes, it should not really matter what brand you buy.

Just like buying a new pair of shoes can give you reason to look forward to an event, stylish workout gear can provide incentive to working out. Ratty sorority T-shirts are run-of-the-mill, but a new lycra halter-top might be just the trick to tempt you out of bed to hit the treadmill.

Exercise clothes are also liberating. Instead of stressing about tight and uncomfortable pants, choose a pair of classic black leggings. Aside from matching with anything, they are also more forgiving for the days that you do not hit the gym.

It is not all about the aesthetics, though. A lot of exercise clothing does serve a legitimate purpose. Especially sports bras.

Particularly for girls with a rack, sports bras offer an extreme amount of support. Working out in a regular bra can lead to back pain, since your boobs do not have proper support and will end up bouncing around.

As college students, we are constantly on the move throughout the day. Between running up and down stairs and hurrying between classes, our breasts are exposed to a lot of movement. In order to avoid unnecessary back stress, a sports bra can be used to give the girls a break.

Sports bras can also help regulate body temperature because of their material. If you are sweating, sports bras absorb sweat. Lacier and sexier bras have a hard time dealing with sweat, and usually, perspiration seeps beneath them. Sports bras keep the sweat in the chest area as opposed to your back, stomach or neck.

When it comes to the rest of the exercise wardrobe, leggings can be worn with legitimate workout tops, of course. But they can be also paired with sweaters and boots. Onlookers will not be able to tell the difference between a pair of spandex leggings and a pair of cotton ones.

In fact, I prefer casually wearing exercise leggings for the sole purpose that they are tighter. I do not need to fret over my pants slipping down and exposing my seemingly in-shape backside.

It all boils down to exercise clothing being a copout of getting dressed in the morning. So what if you woke up late? People will think that you woke up early and hit the gym, even if you actually didn’t.

Even if you end up taking an off day, there is nothing wrong with tricking the world into thinking that you are Gym-Rat-Barbie.