Baltimore Orioles

SU sells 1,100 tickets to see New York Yankees for SU Day

Although tickets for Syracuse University Day at Yankee Stadium are on sale until May 30, about 1,100 of the 1,800 tickets for the event have already been sold.

Members of the SU community can purchase discounted tickets to see the New York Yankees play at SU Day at Yankee Stadium, which has been organized by the SU Alumni Association for the past four years. The Lubin House, SU’s alumni house in Manhattan, is also helping to organize the event.

This year, the game is on June 21 at 1:05 p.m. against the Baltimore Orioles.

Tickets went on sale on April 10 and will be on sale until May 30 or when they sell out. Prices range from $23 to $105, according to an April 10 SU News release. All tickets are for seats in left field.  Everyone who purchases a ticket through SU Day will receive a hat with an orange New York Yankee logo.

Tina Casella, an associate director of the Office of Alumni Engagement, said she has gone to SU Day every year and plans to attend this year’s as well.

Casella said it’s fun to see so many people affiliated with SU at an event outside the Syracuse area.

Casella said she goes to support the event along with alumni from the New York City and Central New York area. Typically, she said she travels with friends and family for the game. SU Day participants get picked for trivia in between innings and are featured on the scoreboard throughout the game, she added.

Patricia Dombrowski, the executive director of development at the Lubin House, said the center had to ask for more tickets for the event due to the growing demand. She said the center is expecting to sell almost, if not all, of its tickets.

Three buses have been secured to take ticket-holders from Syracuse to New York for $46 round-trip.  Dombrowski said the Lubin House is working on getting a fourth bus.

The day’s festivities include two picnics at an additional cost. Dombrowski said she expects 400–450 people to attend the picnics.  Former players and Otto will visit both picnics. Right now, they are working on getting Otto more exposure throughout the day, Dombrowski said.

“The excitement this year is like nothing we have previously seen,” Matthew Manfra, assistant vice president of alumni engagement, said in the SU News release. “We started getting calls inquiring about this year’s SU Day from the moment Jeter announced his retirement in February. I would suggest anyone interested in going to the game get their tickets early.”

But SU Day is not commemorating Derek Jeter’s retirement, Dombrowski said.

Dombrowski said that any leftover tickets will be given back to Yankee Stadium. They are hoping to make it an annual event, switching between Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, Dombrowski said.