Letter to the Editor

Professors congratulate students bringing attention to environmental issues

We want to congratulate the students who are bringing attention to climate disruption and trying to do something serious about it. On April 10, Students of Sustainability and Divest SU-ESF hosted “Up for Climate Justice,” a marathon series of short talks and discussions about the science and consequences of a changing climate, and the policies and actions that might make a difference.

The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has just issued a sobering report, saying that we are already seeing the harsh impacts of climate disruption  —including refugees from islands inundated by rising sea levels, killer storms and droughts — and they are only going to get worse. But it also holds out a hope for keeping the Earth from warming to truly catastrophic levels by 2100, if we take meaningful action now.

Divest SU-ESF is part of a national effort to persuade institutions to stop investing in companies whose business plan entails burning massive amounts of fossil fuels. Several speakers also advocated for a carbon tax to make these fuels less desirable, either as energy sources or as investments. A carbon tax could also raise money for mitigating the effects of climate disruption and shifting to a less destructive energy system, or for reducing the burdens of debt and inequality that also threaten our future quality of life.

Sadly, the younger you are, the more you have at stake in this issue. But that also means the voices of students should carry great moral weight in advocating for change. We encourage everyone who hopes to live into the late 21st century to raise those voices and help create a more positive future.

Rachel May, Coordinator of Sustainability Education
Sarah B. Pralle, Associate Professor of Political Science
Douglas Frank, Professor of Biology