University Union

2 Chainz pleads not guilty to possessing a controlled substance ahead of Block Party performance

Rapper 2 Chainz pleaded not guilty to possessing a controlled substance on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

2 Chainz, whose real name is Tauheed Epps, was arraigned at Airport Courthouse, located about 20 minutes outside of downtown Los Angeles. He was arrested on June 11 for allegedly possessing codeine at Los Angeles International Airport, according to a felony complaint. He is scheduled to appear in court again on May 5.

2 Chainz is scheduled to perform at Block Party on April 25 in the Carrier Dome, along with EDM artist Zedd and DJ Brazzabelle.

Leonard Levine, 2 Chainz’s lawyer, said the court hasn’t restricted his ability to travel.

The arraignment was the first time the defense was able to see the evidence being used to charge the rapper, Levine said. Because of this, it’s not unusual that he would plead not guilty, he said.

Eva Jansen, a senior English and textual studies and Spanish dual major who plans to attend Block Party, said she had heard from a friend about the rapper’s arrest and arraignment.

Jansen said if University Union knew that 2 Chainz was in legal trouble, then it should have considered this prior to booking him for the concert.

Shanitra Fulgham, a sophomore public relations and information and technology dual major, said she knows a lot of people who bought Block Party tickets just to see 2 Chainz, so they would be disappointed if he couldn’t perform.

Mitchell Mason, UU’s director of public relations, did not respond to multiple emails and two phone calls. Billy Ceskavich and Kelly Benini, UU’s president and UU’s director of concerts, did not reply to an email each.