First-ever TEDxSU event to be held April 9

Technology, entertainment, and design: that’s what organizers say students should expect from Syracuse University’s first-ever TEDx event.

TEDx is a spinoff of a set of globally spanning Technology, Entertainment and Design conferences, which are dedicated to discussing “ideas worth spreading,” according to the TEDxSU website. The TEDx program is designed to give communities the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level.

The event is scheduled for April 9 in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., said Kelvin Sherman, communications manager for TEDxSU, in an email. The event will be free, however seats will be limited so tickets will be distributed, he said.

“Students should expect to be inspired,” Sherman said. “We’re putting together an event that will enlighten, engage and invigorate. All inspired by true innovation.”

Fifteen Syracuse University students are working to organize this event, Sherman said. All TEDx events are fully planned independent from TED conferences ensuring that the interests are tailored to the particular community.

Those interested in speaking at the event can apply through the TEDxSU website, Sherman said. TEDxSU coordinators encourage all to speak at the event – including students, he said.

Each speaker will have 18 minutes or less to present material that communicates their “best ideas.” Presentations can also include videos and demonstrations, according to the website.

Some speakers at the event may be chosen to become a part of TEDTalk, which is a broadcast-quality video podcast series available free to the public, according to the TEDxSU website.

If students want to participate in the event but aren’t interested in speaking, Sherman said there are several other ways to get involved.

Students can participate through social media, web design, event coordination and set design, he said. Organizers are also looking for videographers to assist with documenting the planning and preparation for TEDx’s debut, Sherman said.

“With our organization leaders studying in the College of Engineering, the iSchool and the Newhouse school, we hope that our collaborative thinking brings a fresh perspective to our conventional thinking within our communities,” Sherman said. “That’s what TED talks are all about.”