Decibel

New and improved: Brandy’s album achieves new levels of quality while staying loyal to retro roots

Don’t call it a comeback.

Brandy’s been here for years, but now is the time to sit up and take notice. With a career that spans 20 years, filled with as many tough times as No. 1 hits, the rhythm-and-blues diva and actress has finally pulled together a masterpiece R&B mix that was four years in the making. “Two Eleven” shows Brandy with new and old swag, as she reminds fans why they got down with her in the first place.

Back in the day when the running man ruled dance floors and overalls were still cool, Brandy Norwood was America’s sweetheart. At only 15 she released her debut self-titled album, which spawned hits like “I Wanna be Down” and “Baby.” After an acting career, a downfall ensued and Brandy released three unsuccessful albums, seeming to succumb to the controversy of a made-up marriage and fatal car accident involvement. In 2008, the singer pulled it together and released “Human,” which showed that she had moved on from her inner turmoil, but failed to earn any commercial success.

Now Brandy seems serious about making this work and she’s even bringing out the big guns. Since 2009, the singer has worked with producers Rico Love and Sean Garrett, as well as songwriters Frank Ocean and Chris Brown, to achieve a modern R&B sound with an old-school and hip-hop edge. She titled this newest compilation after the day she was born and the day her idol and inspiration, Whitney Houston, passed away. With the need to reestablish her spot in the industry, Brandy clearly did not play around. The singer finally utilizes and digs into her husky voice, giving the public a new side of her that we’ve never seen.

Brandy comes out in a big way with the album’s lead single, “Put it Down” featuring Chris Brown. The song is her first Top-5 hit in 10 years and the upbeat hip-hop track must be looked at as a whole package along with its video. Brandy walks out with a new swagger, leading dancers in sassy choreography. As she dances to the track’s heavy beat and even heavier bass, she shows off more of her higher vocal range.

It’s not the best vocal display, but seeing Brandy settling into this new style is refreshing. To top it all off, Chris Brown offers a rap verse that matches the song’s fun vibes perfectly and seals it as a hit.

In “Wildest Dreams,” you can instantly tell that the track is a true representation of all sides of the artist when a voice whispers “It’s Brandy” at the start of the song. Brandy pays homage to her R&B roots and her ’90s beginnings through the song’s simple beat and slow groove. But then Brandy gives a vocal performance that is smooth and emotional as she sings about love. As she belts out “not in my wildest dreams,” one cannot help but bounce to the beat and also hear the richness in Brandy’s voice that only came after years of performing.

It all comes together in tracks like “Scared of Beautiful.” The song, written by Frank Ocean, features a slightly ethereal brand of R&B and metaphorical lyrics. At the start of the song, Brandy almost whispers the lyrics in her rich and deep tone, sounding like she pulled them from deep within herself.

Many may not appreciate Brandy’s way of not only singing in the lower register, but also being able to do so much vocally in a space that ranges so low. It’s just as difficult as singing in extremely high runs and should be commended. Hearing her effortlessly belt out lyrics about being scared of her own talent also gives insight on her inner struggles.

“Two Eleven” finally confirms that Brandy is back on top. The album is a true representation of her impressive vocal ability and talent, and won’t go unnoticed. She gives her all with this album and it makes fans remember the Bandy they’ve missed, even though her current style is brand new.