Decibel

Funkytown: Local trio blurs line between old-school hip-hop, laid back blues

Courtesy of Sophistafunk

(From left) Emannuel Washington, Adam Gold and Jack Brown, members of Sophistafunk, share beverages and laugter. They recently put an album out on vinyl.

Sitting or standing anxiously among the crowded Funk ‘n Waffles tables or in a testy crowd of college kids at the Westcott Theater — wherever Sophistafunk has chosen to grace with its presence — is practically torture. With cool, laid-back vibes mixed with a soulful, bluesy sound, the group is funky fresh and perfect for dancing.

Sophistafunk unleashed its distinctive sound on Syracuse and most of the nation over the past year, performing songs from its latest album, “twentyeleven.” Now, in true funky fashion, the group has released a vinyl version of the hit album, and the agony of waiting is finally over.

Adam Gold, Jack Brown and Emanuel Washington started playing together in simple jam sessions before actually forming the group in 2007. With two S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications alumni and the whole group’s roots deep in Syracuse, it’s no wonder that Sophistafunk has infected ‘Cuse and the Northeast music scene with an extra dose of funk.

But not just any funk. The group’s sound combines elements of old school and alternative hip-hop with jazz, soul and heavy bass and drum sounds. Just think of a George Clinton and A Tribe Called Quest lovechild.

Let’s start with a simple drum roll. A huge pounding or big kick sets off pretty much every song, and instantly, heads raise and people lift from their chairs. The energized tone of the piece is automatically set and, if you glance over, behind flailing sticks and a grooving expression, it’s all courtesy of percussionist extraordinaire Emanuel Washington.

You can marvel at his skills most clearly in “The Get Down.” The instrumental track’s shining embellishments are balanced by a dash of cymbal and a constant, open drum sound whose echo gives the song nothing but cool vibes.

Most of the funk elements in Sophistafunk are courtesy of the many sounds of Adam Gold. The multi-instrumentalist plays keyboard, the occasional trombone and even provides the bass sound with his left hand tickling the keys of a synthesizer. As a song gets going, you’ll swear Sly and The Family Stone were onstage, only to see the head-bobbing crooner offering deep vocals.

His synthesizer is truly the magic behind the group’s ability to create the illusion of a big band sound. In “Gimme Some Space,” he starts out by creating a high-pitched whistle that sounds like a machine in Willy Wonka’s factory and generates a psychedelic vibe.

Front man Jack Brown contributes to the hip-hop atmosphere with his old-school emcee persona and attention to lyricism. Sporting his signature blazer, fedora and glasses, Brown oozes cool as he steps onto the stage and immediately gets the crowd amped up. Brown is also a spoken-word poet, so dropping knowledge and producing thought-provoking words is second nature to him.

In Sophistafunk, he’s able to combine his skills with elements of hip-hop and rap. “Take Back The Planet” is nearly three minutes of Brown’s spoken word set to eerie sounds and free-form poetry. The verses are about misguided human nature and are a call to action for people to discard trivial things in the world and rise up, delivered through a voice that powerfully punches and will slap you awake — in a good way, of course.

As the name illustrates, “Lyrical Guide” shows off even more of Jack Brown’s way with words, while blending quite nicely with production by Washington and Gold. The song is an upbeat tune urging fans to join the party, with funky, laid-back keyboard sounds and an extra kick of drums. The chorus is catchy and infectious, making the song a crowd favorite.

The funky, cool trip that Sophistafunk offers is definitely best enjoyed on stage, but thanks to vinyl, you’ll probably feel like you’re actually there. The rerelease of “twentyeleven” will no longer deprive fans of precious, raw sound lost in digital conversion and bring the sound of a live performance straight to your record player. Feel free to get funky all on your own.