Baseball

Q&A with Syracuse Chiefs’ Bryce Harper

On Wednesday, the Syracuse Chiefs held their annual media day in anticipation for their 2012 season, which starts Thursday at Alliance Bank Stadium at 2 p.m. against the Rochester Red Wings.

The Daily Orange spoke with highly prized prospect Bryce Harper during the media session. In his first professional season last year, Harper batted .318 at Single-A Hagerstown and batted .256 in Double-A Harrisburg. Now, he’ll start the 2012 season with the Washington Nationals’ Triple-A affiliate in Syracuse.

The Daily Orange: What’s it like with all the attention all the time? What’s that like for a 19-year-old and how do you handle that?

Bryce Harper: We got a great organization, and we got a lot of hype around our whole organization. (Stephen) Strasburg, Gio (Gonzalez), Edwin (Jackson). We’ve got a lot of guys who can really pitch and play, and you know I’m really excited about this year, really excited about everything that’s going to happen this year. We’ve got a great club, great organization and I’m excited.

What do you think you can gain from Triple-A?

BH: Just trying to play hard every single day. Trying to mature in every aspect of the game. Just trying to learn every single day no matter what, and we’ve got a lot of great guys up here and I’m excited.

What reaction did you have when you heard you were being optioned down to Syracuse to start the season?

BH: I wasn’t really upset at all. I wasn’t disappointed. Nothing. I’m really happy to be here. Really happy to try and succeed, mature in aspects of the game. Just try to get going.

At some points you’ve been labeled as a bad guy. Do you think that’s a mislabel, and how do you deal with people thinking you’re a certain way?

BH: Do you think I’m a bad guy?

I’ve talked to your high school coach, your junior college coach; they say you’re a great guy.

BH: There we go. I play the game the right way every single day. I’m going to keep playing, giving 110 percent. I’m trying to win every single game. Off the field I smile all the time, I’m fun and whatever, so it’s all good.

I hear you and coach Tony Beasley talk in his office when someone says or writes something negative about you. Can you talk about what that’s like?

BH: Me and (Beasley) have a relationship that’s great. I can go in there and talk to him about anything I want, and he’ll take it in and really talk to me. I respect (Beasley) more than anybody. He’s so good with everybody that comes around him, and I’m really excited to play for him again this year. It’s going to be great.

dgproppe@syr.edu