City : Loyal donors: Maffei bursts ahead of Buerkle in campaign money with continued support

In a rematch of the 2010 25th Congressional District race, challenger Dan Maffei (D-Dewitt) is already giving incumbent Ann Marie Buerkle (R-Onondaga Hill) a run for her money in the 2012 campaign.

In 2010, Buerkle edged Maffei by 648 votes. Since announcing his candidacy in August, Maffei has raised more than $200,000 in campaign money, compared to Beurkle’s $89,000. The totals are from the quarter that ended Sept. 30. In total, Maffei has $287,000 in cash in his campaign account; Buerkle has $247,000, according to disclosure reports filed with the Federal Election Commission.

Six Syracuse University faculty and staff members have donated to Maffei’s campaign, according to the FEC. No one employed by SU has donated to Buerkle yet.

In 2010, Maffei raised more than $2.7 million in his campaign for re-election, while Buerkle raised $551,807. Of Maffei’s total 2010 campaign contributions, more than $1.4 million was from private individuals, including 47 total contributions from 24 SU employees adding up to $21,275. Buerkle received just one contribution from an SU employee in 2010, totaling $50.

Maffei, a visiting professor at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, is considered by the community to be a product of the area.

Thomas Fondy, an SU professor of biology and an Onondaga County resident for 46 years, said he has been donating to Maffei’s campaign since he ran for Congress in 2008. Fondy said he thinks Maffei has a good shot at winning in 2012 because he is ‘a man of the people’ and firmly believes in environmental protection.

‘Dan is young and smart, and he understands the things the environment has to offer,’ Fondy said. ‘I hope someone like him can get into a leadership position.’

Fondy also said he feels it’s not surprising SU faculty members have donated money to Maffei because educators tend to be more liberal.

Leonard Burman, professor of practice in public administration and economics, donated $250 to Maffei’s campaign. Burman said Maffei is a longtime friend of his.

‘Our political system runs on money,’ Burman said. ‘It’s important for small donors to be involved and not leave it up to big corporations and advocacy groups to drive the debate.’

Burman said whoever wins will be the candidate who best ‘makes their case’ through how well they fundraise, how effective their messages are to the public and how organized the campaign is.

Incumbent Buerkle has raised $89,000 for her campaign. Her performance for the quarter ending Sept. 30 earned her the No. 6 spot on the National Journal’s list of ‘Top 10 House Fundraising Flops.’

The National Journal said: ‘The GOP Freshman has always been an underwhelming fundraiser, but now she faces a rematch against the congressman she defeated in 2010 … and she’s certainly not safe in redistricting, either.’

hawentz@syr.edu