One suspect arrested, 2 others sought in Slocum Hall burglaries

UPDATED: Sept. 12, 2011, 11:53 p.m.

One arrest has been made and two other suspects are being actively sought for the laptop burglaries that occurred in Slocum Hall last week, according to an email sent by SU News to students Monday afternoon.

Daquan Prince, 20, of Syracuse, was arrested on charges of felony burglary, grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, said Sgt. Tom Connellan of the Syracuse Police Department. Prince is not listed in the Syracuse University directory.

The SPD Criminal Investigation Division has been working as the lead agency on this case, with the Department of Public Safety taking a secondary role in the investigation.

A number of laptops were stolen from the second and fourth floors of Slocum Hall on two separate occasions. The number of laptops has not been released because the investigation is ongoing, Connellan said. The first incident occurred Sept. 5 between 1:30 and 3 a.m., and the second incident occurred Thursday at approximately 2:30 p.m.

During the Sept. 5 theft, several drawers in Slocum Hall were forced open and the contents were taken. The burglary on Thursday was attributed to the laptop being unattended, according to the email. The email encouraged students to keep their possessions with them at all times and immediately report any suspicious behavior.

DPS has been aware of the problem since the beginning of the fall semester, as burglaries also occurred in Slocum Hall last year. In wake of the most recent burglaries, there is discussion of adopting additional security measures in the School of Architecture, said Michael Rathbun, assistant chief of DPS in an email Sunday. Some of the measures include automatic door locking systems and door alarm systems.

Rathbun could provide no further updates on the case Monday.

medelane@syr.edu