Laptops stolen in Slocum Hall, thefts unsolved

A number of laptops were stolen from the second and fourth floors of Slocum Hall on two different occasions, according to an email sent from SU News by the Department of Public Safety on Thursday. The first incident occurred on Sept. 5 between 1:30 a.m. and 3 a.m., and the second incident occurred on Thursday at approximately 2:30 p.m., according to the release.

During the Sept. 5 theft, several drawers in Slocum Hall were forced open and the contents stolen. During the incident on Thursday afternoon, the loss was attributed to the laptop being unattended, according to the email. The email encouraged students to keep their possessions with them at all times and immediately report any suspicious behavior.

Syracuse Police Department is the lead agency in the burglary investigation while DPS is taking a secondary role, said Michael Rathbun, assistant chief of DPS in an email. SPD could not be reached for comment.

Some thefts also occurred in Slocum Hall last year, Rathbun said, so DPS has been aware of the problem since the beginning of the semester. In wake of the most recent burglaries, there is discussion of adopting additional security measures in the School of Architecture, he said. Some of the measures include automatic door locking systems and door alarm systems.

medelane@syr.edu