ITS fixes network problems

AirOrangeX experienced connectivity problems Wednesday, causing users across campus trouble accessing the network.

The cause of the disruption was not immediately known but was related to the authentication certification. When the issues began at about 1 p.m., Information Technology and Services did not know when the problems would be fixed. The problem was resolved by 4 p.m.

Students who experienced the problem had to reconfigure their computers by connecting to AirOrangeHelp and rerunning the configuration, similar to what students do at the beginning of each new academic year, according to a message on the ITS Helpline.

On Tuesday, ITS worked on issues with Blackboard, but the site was only down for about an hour, said Chris Finkle, ITS communications manager.

According to student posts on Twitter, outages affected the entire campus, including South Campus, the College of Law building and the Schine Student Center.

Chelsea Memet, sophomore television, radio and film major, said she has had problems using AirOrangeX for the past week or so, but not Wednesday specifically, although she said she had not really used her computer yet.

She said she has to reconnect about every 10 minutes when she tries to use the Internet, which annoys her. She said she especially has trouble connecting to the network in her Flint Hall dorm room.

‘There’s just so many kids trying to log on that it just shuts off on me,’ she said.

Memet has also had trouble logging in on Blackboard and MySlice recently. To fix this problem, Memet said she thinks ITS and SU should have more than one network available for students to use.

‘I know there’s AirOrangeHelp and AirOrangeGuest, but it’s really not enough for everyone to connect to,’ she said. ‘We should have more.’

medelane@syr.edu