Campus groups raise $1,528 in 2nd race event

UPDATED: May 3, 2011, 1:45 p.m.

Correction: In this article, the event coordinator’s name was originally misspelled. It has since been corrected. In addition, Kyle Rapone was misquoted. It has since been corrected. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.

Runners and walkers took to the sidewalks across campus Sunday morning during the second May Day 5K, which raised more than $1,000.

Syracuse University and the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s Habitat for Humanity chapter and OrangeAID hosted the event, which served as a fundraiser for both organizations. OrangeAID is a student group created in 2008 to help fund HIV and AIDS treatment, as well as to inform students about the disease.

The race raised $1,528, about $300 more than last year, said Andrew Loane, president of the SU and ESF chapter of Habitat for Humanity. Of the 120 people who registered, 75 attended the race, Loane said.

The coed race, which started after 11 a.m., began and ended at Hendricks Chapel. Runners moved down Waverly Avenue and Comstock Avenue and passed by the Carrier Dome. The cost of attendance was $13 if paid in advance and $15 if bought Sunday. Participants received cards with their times at the end.

Josh Scarcella, a volunteer coordinator for Habitat for Humanity, said a portion of the race’s proceeds will support the group’s new project at 659 Gifford St.

First-, second- and third-place winners won gift certificates from Fleet Feet, a store that sells running and exercise apparel, for $15, $10 and $5, respectively. Strong Hearts Cafe, a vegan restaurant, passed out $5 gift certificates to random participants, Leone said.

Anna Stolzenburg, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, won the female category, and Robert Pogue, a sophomore architecture major, won the male category, Loane said.

Pogue said he ran road races in high school, but his academics left him no time to run in Syracuse, and the weather put him in no mood.

Pogue was glad he decided to attend because he won a race he would have missed had his friends not encouraged him to run, he said.

Kyle Rapone, a junior television, radio and film major, said the event was a good way to have fun and donate to charity at the same time.

‘They do a lot of good, and I really wanted to help them out today,’ Rapone said.

Rapone, who attended the first May Day 5K last year, said the event appeared to be larger this year.

Mikaela Ost, a junior in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a high school HIV and AIDS peer leader, said she wasn’t sure what to expect coming into the race, but thought the organizers did a good job setting the atmosphere.

SU’s mascot, Otto the Orange, also attended the event and high-fived runners throughout the race. Pogue, winner of the male category, said he was pleasantly surprised that Otto came, even if Otto didn’t run alongside the students.

Lauren Rosenstein, a junior in the College of Human Ecology, president of OrangeAID and one of the race’s core organizers, also said she was surprised by Otto’s presence.

‘Nobody requested Otto,’ she said. ‘He just came.’

geclarke@syr.edu