Culture

Setting the stage: Broadway-themed ball raises funds for Syracuse Stage

Michael Rios, dressed in all black and a painted face resembling a cat, took the stage to perform ‘The Jellicle Ball,’ a number from the musical ‘Cats.’

Rios, a senior musical theater major at Syracuse University, recently finished performing with the international touring cast of the same show. This performance was for a different, more local venue: the Syracuse Stage Ball.

The 26th annual Syracuse Stage Ball, put on by the Syracuse Stage Board of Trustees and Syracuse Stage Guild, occurred Saturday at the Oncenter Complex. The only major fundraiser for Syracuse Stage was a night filled with a silent auction, dinner, live music, dancing and performances by current SU students. More than 300 members from SU and the Syracuse community attended the event.

Lauren Kochian, assistant director of development for Syracuse Stage and event planner, said the fundraiser always occurs on the first Saturday in March. She said the ball, which is the only major fundraiser to support the artistic and educational programs from Syracuse Stage, had typical attendance.

‘With our programs, we serve about 24,000 students in all of Central New York, some free of charge,’ she said. One of the programs the money supports are the ‘Pay What You Can’ nights, when Syracuse Stage attendants determine their own price for show tickets.

She said Syracuse Stage has an obvious impact on the SU community — and in particular, the drama students.

‘They can say what a great experience it is,’ she said.

Down the escalator at the Oncenter was a room for the silent auction filled with tables that highlighted items such as signed basketballs, a Wegmans gift card or a gift certificate for Phoebe’s Restaurant and Coffee Lounge.

In the room, small black tables with golden chairs were set up with a bar at the back. A few waiters and waitresses swerved through the crowd with trays of finger food for the attendees who mingled in groups, mainly clutching wine glasses. Many women wore black or dark-colored dresses. Many men dressed in black suits with matching bowties.

Ann Clarke, dean of SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts, mingled with the crowd. She attends the event every year and said it is important to support Syracuse Stage.

‘Having a viable premier art organization is remarkable,’ she said.

Although the night just began, what was Clarke looking forward to most?

‘Dancing,’ she said with a smile.

The main doors opened to reveal larger black tables, similar to the ones outside the room. The tables were numbered with drama masks in the center. Toward the front, there was a dance floor and a dimly lit stage for the band, Atlas, to perform. Two large screens, one on each side of the room, displayed pictures from musicals and provided a list of thanks to those who helped Syracuse Stage.

Marcy Grundner, chair of the Syracuse Guild Event, said it was her second year of being a part of the event. She said these events are essential because Syracuse Stage is the only professional stage in Syracuse.

‘The arts are very important to the community, and it’s important to support the arts,’ she said.

The live band, Atlas, performed songs such as ‘Get Down Tonight’ and ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You,’ while the patrons dined on beef tenderloin, turkey breast, lobster bisque and wild mushroom risotto. Throughout the night, many couples danced on the floor in front of the stage.

The band took a break for four student performances to Broadway tunes, choreographed by Anthony Salatino, an associate professor in VPA’s musical theater department. Grundner said Salatino is an integral part of Syracuse Stage.

Salatino migrated toward the back of the room to watch the show. This was his third year choreographing these performances, he said, and he worked with the dancers for about a month and a half because they had to wait until he had finished directing Syracuse Stage’s production of ‘Rent.’

Salatino described the night as one of relaxation and beauty, and he said it allows others to meet people they might not normally meet at other events. Most importantly, he’s happy to support Syracuse Stage.

‘They are part of my family,’ he said.

The first dance was to ‘I Hope I Get It,’ from ‘A Chorus Line.’ The seven dancers, clad in bright colors, were in high energy as the song literally instructed them on what to do. They performed high kicks and quick turns.

Marie Eife, one of the dancers, decided to dance because it was a huge fundraiser and an honor to be asked to dance for Syracuse Stage as a student in the department.

‘It is the original choreography to the first production of the show,’ said Eife, a junior musical theatre major. ‘It was amazing to learn that and also to learn so much of the history behind the show.’

Other performances included ‘In the Heights,’ from the musical of the same name, and ‘Dance at the Gym,’ from ‘West Side Story.’

Micah Nameroff, a sophomore musical theater major who performed in the dances, said the event was very successful.

‘The Syracuse Stage Ball was a wonderful night,’ Nameroff said. ‘I’m so glad I got to be a part of that amazing event. It’s for such a great cause, and I hope it continues for years to come.’

cabidwel@syr.edu