DPS plans lock checks on South Campus during break

As students prepare for a week of relaxation from Syracuse University, the Department of Public Safety is gearing up to keep crime down during Spring Break.

DPS will follow a similar security plan to the one used for Winter Break, said DPS Capt. John Sardino.

On Wednesday, DPS officers and the Office of Residence Life officials tried to talk to as many South Campus residents before they left for break, he said. They are leaving behind pamphlets to remind residents to lock the doors and pull the curtains shut before leaving.

‘The plan is to follow up on Monday after most students have left with a more physical check of the doors and windows to make sure everything is locked up tight,’ Sardino said.

The number of patrols in the South Campus area will also increase during the break in response to fewer student eyes and ears on campus to report suspicious activity, he said.

‘Students are typically good at reporting stuff,’ he said. ‘But if they’re not there, we don’t have that mechanism to count on.’

DPS patrols will mainly focus on the physical security of the area because they will not be responding to as many student calls, Sardino said.

DPS hopes to cut down on crime by restricting access to South Campus through the gates near the University Village Apartments and near Jamesville Avenue, Sardino said. The main entrance will be through the Welcome Center entrance, he said.

During Winter Break, officers acted in a similar manner with lock checks, increased patrols and decreased accessibility to prevent suspicious activity or crime on campus, Sardino said.

Not one burglary or attempted burglary was reported during Winter Break, according to an article published in The Daily Orange on Jan. 18. Since the plan used during Winter Break was successful, DPS will use the same one, Sardino said.

‘Unless we see that it’s not working, we will probably treat all breaks very similarly,’ he said.

Sardino stressed communication between roommates as one of the easiest and most effective ways to increase security, whether on South Campus, off-campus or in residence halls.

‘Taking that 30 to 60 seconds to make sure you have plans as to who is the last person to leave and who is to be responsible for doors and windows is very important,’ he said.

Unlocked doors were the cause of three separate break-ins and burglaries on Feb. 27, according to an article published in The Daily Orange on March 1.

During the break, Sardino said, students should bring home any moveable valuables, such as electronics, expensive cameras, jewelry or anything of significant value.

medelane@syr.edu