Three South Campus burglaries occur Monday morning

Three burglaries to South Campus apartments occurred after midnight on Monday morning and are under investigation, said Jennifer Horvath, public information officer of the Department of Public Safety.

The burglaries, reported Monday morning, occurred at 111 and 141 Farm Acre Road and 160 Small Road, Horvath said. In all three instances, doors were left unlocked and there were no signs of forced entry, Horvath said.

Laptops, electronic items and other valuables were stolen in most cases, according to an e-mail alert sent to South Campus residents Monday.

Monday’s burglaries come after two apartments at 100 Farm Acre Road were burglarized Friday night or early Saturday morning. Malcom Cater, a Syracuse University freshman and former linebacker for the Syracuse football team, was arrested Saturday morning for the weekend burglaries and a Thanksgiving break burglary on Small Road. Cater was arraigned Sunday morning and is being held at the Onondaga County Justice Center with bail of $150,000 cash or $300,000 bond.

In light of the recent burglaries, DPS is encouraging students to lock their doors and windows, secure sliding doors with dowels and store valuables in a safe place away from doors and windows.

DPS and the Office of Residence Life will conduct a walk-through of South Campus on Dec. 22 to make sure all doors are locked, Horvath said.

lgleveil@syr.edu