Students studying in Europe more cautious after US-issued travel alert

Ali Phalen’s parents did not take kindly to the news of possible terrorist attacks in European cities.

‘I come from a very small town and my parents have never been abroad, so when they first heard of the threats it was pretty bad,’ said Phalen, a junior studying in London, in an e-mail. ‘I had to fight with my parents to allow me to stay. I now am not allowed to take public transport, so I have to take taxis everywhere. It is a very expensive pain in my butt.’

On Sunday, the U.S. State Department issued an alert that detailed the possibility of terrorist attacks in Europe. The alert reported that information suggests al-Qaida and affiliated organizations are planning attacks. About 680 Syracuse University and non-SU students are currently studying in Europe through SU Abroad programs, said Carrie Abbott, associate director for admissions and student services at SU Abroad.

SU Abroad e-mailed students studying in London to explain what the alert meant and what students should do. They have told students not to change travel plans, and that ‘they should be business as usual.’ They advised them to be aware of their surroundings, which is what the State Department alert also advised.

An informal, ‘open-door’ meeting will be held Thursday in London in case any students feel concerned and want to speak with members of the SU Abroad center in London, Abbott said.

Despite the warning, SU Abroad has encouraged students to maintain their typical day-to-day activities. It is difficult to give further direction because the alert does not give a lot of concrete information, Abbott said.

‘It’s unfortunately a very vague advisory,’ Abbott said. ‘It’s really just reminding U.S. citizens to be aware of their surroundings and be safe while traveling, which is a message all students received before they went and how all U.S. citizens abroad should operate.’

SU Abroad has a system set up in the event of emergencies, disasters and attacks. In addition to e-mails like the one sent out, there is a text message system for students studying in Europe that sends out simultaneous messages. In the event of an emergency, they contact every student at the center to ensure their safety. The exact plan depends on the situation, but plans exist for all types of situations, Abbott said.

Deanna Payson, a sophomore studying in Strasbourg, had plans to travel to London this weekend. London is one of the cities the State Department flagged for a higher risk of terrorist attacks. After talking with her parents back in the U.S., she cancelled her plans.

‘My parents are not nervous about me being in Strasbourg, but they urged me to cancel my plans to go to London this upcoming weekend,’ Payson said, in an e-mail. ‘They feel that since I would be visiting tourist sites and using public transportation in a city mentioned in the State Department’s warning, it would be an unnecessary risk.’

Payson said she feels safe in Strasbourg and, up until this weekend, her day-to-day life had not been affected. She said she feels Americans have been more affected by the ‘media storm’ that followed the announcement than she and her friends have been abroad.

‘Most of my friends here seem unconcerned about the threat of terrorism in Europe,’ Payson said.

Cassia Brooks, a junior graphic design major studying in London, had not heard about the alerts until she received the SU Abroad e-mail. She visited a U.S. news site when she received the e-mail from SU Abroad and said she became nervous.

Brooks’ parents and roommates encouraged her to keep going with her daily activities, she said. She will follow their advice, but said she will be especially careful when traveling in public places, like the Tube, London’s subway system.

Brooks is leaving this weekend for a trip to Istanbul. Although she has been warned, she is opting to continue traveling in and around the country.

‘I am going to Paris and Munich during fall break,’ Brooks said. ‘France, Germany and the U.K. are the three countries with the highest threat, but I am still going to visit them.’

knmciner@syr.edu