Sports

Davis, UNC react to investigation, players dismissed

Coming into the 2010 season, North Carolina was expected to be a legitimate contender for a BCS bowl berth. Then came the suspension of six players before the season. And on Monday, three of those suspensions were cemented for the length of the season, perhaps cementing the fate of UNC’s season as well.

Two UNC players, Robert Quinn and Greg Little, were ruled permanently ineligible, and another, Marvin Austin, was dismissed from the program Monday. Wide receiver Little, defensive end Quinn and defensive tackle Austin had all been suspended for the Tar Heels’ first five games following an NCAA investigation into the players’ interactions with agents in the offseason. The final decision to dismiss the players was made this week.

‘What should be a day of focus on who is playing and how they played in the recent game, I’m afraid is just the opposite,’ UNC Athletic Director Dick Baddour said in a press conference Monday. ‘I apologize for the university for that. It is my responsibility to bring all these issues to a close, and I can assure you the university staff is doing everything to make that happen.’

The NCAA declared Little and Quinn ineligible due to violations of NCAA agent benefits, preferential treatment and ethical conduct rules. According to the facts submitted by the university, the value of the illegal benefits totaled approximately $4,952 for Little and $5,642 for Quinn. Little accepted diamond earrings and travel accommodations for trips to the Bahamas, Washington, D.C., and two trips to Miami, among other things. Quinn accepted two black diamond watches, a pair of matching earrings and travel accommodations for a trip to Miami, among other things.

Unethical conduct charges were also found against Little and Quinn for providing false and misleading information during the NCAA’s investigation in three separate interviews.

The university dismissed Austin from the team for the same reasons Little and Quinn were declared ineligible. Baddour said the amount of benefits in Austin’s case was more than the amount the other players received.

Head coach Butch Davis said Monday he was upset with the players’ decision-making.

‘I am very sad and disappointed that these individuals made these extraordinarily poor choices,’ Davis said. ‘Not only did they jeopardize themselves and their lives, they have certainly jeopardized this team and this university. I know that they are very remorseful about that, but it does not diminish that these actions were poor choices in these kids’ lives.’

This controversy has surrounded the school since July, when the first interviews were conducted, and has continued to hang over the program into the season. Austin was suspended indefinitely from the team on Sept. 1, and Little, Quinn and three other players were declared ineligible Sept. 3 for the Tar Heels’ season opener the next day.

Little, Quinn and Austin were all expected to be key contributors this year. All three were full-time starters in 2009. Little hauled in 62 catches and five touchdowns last season as a junior. Quinn registered 19 tackles for loss and 11 sacks and finished second in the Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year voting. Austin totaled 42 tackles and four sacks.

North Carolina (3-2) entered the season ranked No. 18 in the nation, but dropped its first two games to No. 9 LSU and Georgia Tech. The Tar Heels have won their last three games since then.

Although Davis did say he was disappointed with the players’ choices, the head coach did feel he was partially at fault.

‘As head football coach, it is clearly my responsibility to be in charge of the football program,’ he said. ‘To help educate the players and to help educate their parents. To make sure everyone understands what the rules and stipulations of extra benefits and inappropriate relationships build.

‘I know that these situations, as head football coach, I have to do a much better job.’

But Davis also added these incidents should not be viewed as representative of the school and promised to make sure that did not occur.

‘I can promise you that moving forward, we are going to do everything we can to restore the confidence of everybody that loves this university,’ Davis said. ‘This is a terrific school with a great reputation. It’s got a great academic reputation, a great athletic reputation. I give you my word and promise as head football coach that I will work every day to restore that confidence.’

Big man on campus

QB Taylor Martinez

Freshman

No. 5 Nebraska

Last Week’s Stats: 5-of-7, 128 yards, 1 TD, 15 carries, 241 yards, 4 TDs

Martinez only threw seven passes, but that’s all the Cornhuskers needed from their quarterback against Kansas State on Thursday. The freshman set the Nebraska single-game record for rushing yards by a quarterback and scored four times on the ground en route to a 48-13 thrashing of the Wildcats.

Martinez scored the only touchdowns of the first half to give the Huskers (5-0, 1-0 Big 12) a 17-3 lead at the break. Then, on the third play of the second half, Martinez gashed Kansas State (4-1, 1-1) through the middle of the defense for an 80-yard touchdown scamper. The first-year starter also added a 79-yard touchdown pass to Kyler Reed later in the third.

Team of the week

No. 10 South Carolina

Last Week’s Result: W, 35-21 vs. No. 8 Alabama

On Saturday, South Carolina handed the Crimson Tide its first loss since 2008, with a balanced offensive attack and a strong defensive effort. The win was the Gamecocks’ first ever win over a No. 1 team.

South Carolina (4-1, 2-1 SEC) pounced on Alabama (5-1, 2-1) early, jumping out to a 21-3 lead early in the second quarter. The Tide was able to close to within 28-21 with 14:51 left in the game, but a failed fake field goal attempt and South Carolina’s ensuing 74-yard touchdown drive put the game out of reach.

The Gamecocks’ 35 points were the most given up by Alabama since LSU dropped 41 on the Tide in 2007. Receiver Alshon Jeffery caught two of Stephen Garcia’s three touchdown passes, while freshman phenom Marcus Lattimore ran for 93 yards and two touchdowns, along with the other receiving touchdown. South Carolina’s defense also held Alabama’s talented backfield duo of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson to just 64 yards on 17 carries.

zjbrown@syr.edu