ben schott

Getting associated: USA, SA meet to strengthen relationship

Members of the Undergraduate Student Association of the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry and Syracuse Universitys Student Association gather to talk about how the two schools can work together in the future.

Jon Barnhart aired his complaints against the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry as part of an ice-breaker activity at a mixer Wednesday night hosted by Student Association for ESF’s governing body, the Undergraduate Student Association (USA).

“I hate how much better ESF is at Ultimate Frisbee,” said Barnhart, SA’s president.

Members of USA took their turns expressing their dislikes and lecturing SA about recycling and the proper use of a North Face jacket as an insulating layer, rather than a fashion accessory.

The two groups met in the SA office to introduce newly elected USA officers to the SA cabinet and discuss the relationship between SU and ESF. The groups talked about increasing the number of students who take courses at both universities. Prior to the meeting with SA, USA held a meeting to discuss an increase in student fees and distribute funds to ESF organizations.

While most of the meeting between SA and USA was spent informally chatting, the groups spent the last few minutes discussing their goals and issues. Ben Schott, the president of USA, said he wants to see more SU students taking ESF classes.

Because of recent budget cuts, ESF can’t afford to allow students to enroll in as many credit hours at SU as in previous years. If more SU students take classes at ESF, those credit hours will offset ESF-to-SU credit hours and allow ESF students to take more SU classes, Schott said.

Members of USA said they blame SU professors for discouraging students from taking ESF classes. This could be remedied once internal changes are enacted at several SU colleges to require or make it easier to take courses at ESF, Barnhart said.

The meeting ended after Schott said he wants USA to use SA as a guide in constructing financial codes. USA is currently governed under bylaws that are based on hearsay and tradition and doesn’t have an official code, Schott said.

ESF President Neal Murphy addressed USA at the meeting before the mixer to commend its success and discuss financial business and the 2.6 percent increase in both technology and student services fees.

“I’ve never seen USA as energetic as USA has been this year,” Murphy said to the organization. “You’ve done a lot of extraordinary things that are going to make us a better school as we go forward.”

Murphy said the increased technology fee is a result of a new computer cluster in Baker Hall, and part of the fee will go toward plans for a 24-hour computer cluster in Moon Library. Members spoke in favor of the increased fee, citing the success of the Baker cluster.

“It’s packed from 8 o’clock in the morning until 8 o’clock at night,” Schott said.

The increased student service fee is a response to a 5 percent increase in the cost of SU credit hours for ESF students. The current budget allows for ESF students to enroll in 46,000 hours at SU for 900 hours taken by SU students at ESF. If SU students take more credit hours, ESF will be able to take more hours at SU without extra cost, Murphy said.

After Murphy’s address, members deliberated and approved USA’s budget. Members of the Wildlife Society and The Knothole, an ESF student publication, contested the budget, citing unfair and insufficient funds for organizations.

The Wildlife Society, which had previously never received USA funding, requested $2,000 and only received $800, which it deemed unfair due to its 30-year standing at ESF. The organization also questioned the integrity of the funding amount because only one of the four members of the Finance Board was present at the group’s hearing.

“How can you deliberate on something you didn’t show up for?” said Jonah Rothleder, a member of the Wildlife Society.

Eugene Law, USA president-elect for the 2010-11 academic year, said the organization did not receive its requested amount because this is the first year it will be funded by USA. He said the group has managed to be successful for 30 years without funds, so $800 would be sufficient.

The Knothole’s request for funds to purchase a new computer and a color-printing quota were not granted. Kevin Phu, USA treasurer, said the funds were denied because the computer was such a large single expenditure and not necessary for the success of the publication.

Problems with the distribution were expected due to the new financial plan USA implemented this year, Schott said. The budget was used as a learning curve and is not closed to alteration, he said.

“We’re not saying that after tonight this is done with,” Schott said. “We realize this is the first time.”