MBB : Poor free-throw shooting plagues Orange baskteball down stretch

To look at the stat sheet, it would seem free throws were an improvement in Saturday’s overtime win over Georgetown. The Orange shot 76.5 percent from the stripe – more than 12 percent better than its season average – and made 26 free throws.

But to listen to head coach Jim Boeheim talk about it, one would never know.

‘This is the first game our free throws have hurt us,’ Boeheim said.

Boeheim was referring to the end of regulation, when Syracuse had numerous chances to put the game away, but couldn’t convert free throws. The Orange missed four free throws in the final two minutes of regulation, as Georgetown charged back into the game and forced overtime.

None were bigger than the last two free throws of regulation, shot by Syracuse forward Rick Jackson. Ahead by two points with 23 seconds left – a chance to put the game away -Jackson made only one of two free throws. That kept it a one-possession game, and Georgetown guard Chris Wright took advantage by hitting a 3 to tie the game with 13 seconds left, sending the game into overtime.

Before Saturday, Syracuse had yet to be involved in a conference game decided by five points or less, often making free-throw shooting a non-factor. But in a tight game, foul shooting was amplified.

Poor shooting at the end of the game overshadowed an otherwise strong performance from the stripe – Syracuse’s second-best percentage of the year – led by point guard Jonny Flynn, who hit 15-of-16 from the line.

But the Orange’s free-throw woes on the season were also demonstrated by a personnel decision. As the overtime period came to a close, Syracuse was forced to stick Arinze Onuaku, the game’s top rebounder, on the bench. Onuaku came into the game shooting a team-low 16.7 percent from the stripe during Big East play, and had already missed four free throws before Boeheim took him out for the end of the game.

‘With Arinze, we need him in there for defense, but we can’t have him getting fouled and taking empty trips,’ Boeheim said. ‘So that’s part of why our defense was weakened at the end.’

Ongenaet ejected

Syracuse forward Kristof Ongenaet spent most of Saturday’s game sitting in the locker room, confused. Partially because he was confused about the five-second delay between what he heard from the Carrier Dome crowd and what he saw on TV.

But mostly because of why he was sitting there.

Ongenaet was ejected at the 7:54 mark of the first half, after referees determined that he had intentionally elbowed Georgetown’s DaJuan Summers as the two battled for a loose ball. But Ongenaet claims any contact was incidental.

‘I was trying to get over him, and I just hit him. Not on purpose at all. They can give me a foul for that, but it was definitely not intentional,’ he said.

When asked about the incident after the game, Boeheim defended his player.

‘He said he went for the rebound and came over him to get the ball and elbowed him unintentionally,’ Boeheim said. ‘I thought elbows had to be intentional to be a flagrant foul ejection. I’m at a loss for that one.’

Fans ‘Orange Out’ the Dome

Saturday’s crowd was reported at 31,841, the largest crowd for a basketball game this season. That figure is the 35th largest crowd in Carrier Dome history.

Shirts were made up for the game, reading ‘Orange out’ on the front and ‘For Revenge’ on the back.

‘The fans mean so much,’ Harris said. ‘I honestly really believe this, some people just say this, but I believe we have the best fans in college basketball. Seriously, just to see all of those people out there cheering you on. That’s amazing. NBA players can’t even say that they’re playing in front of 30,000.’

Among those in the crowd were Donte Greene, a freshman for Syracuse last year who is now playing for the NBA’s Sacramento Kings, and ESPN/ABC sports broadcaster Mike Tirico

This and that

Flynn scored his 1,000th career point Saturday, making him the 51st SU player to reach the plateau. Devendorf and Harris are also on the list. Flynn reached the mark in 61 games, making him the eighth fastest player to do so. … Saturday marked the fifth consecutive home game that Syracuse has won over Georgetown.

kbaustin@syr.edu