Top Video Games of 2008

From homegrown evolution to futuristic alien annihilation, 2008 was a glorious time for the video game industry. Looking back at the incredible amount of video games released in 2008, only a select few can be truly appreciated by all gamers. Remember, not everyone’s a winner…

1. Spore: Evolution has never been so glorious. Whoever said you can’t swim before you crawl? Maxis takes gamers’ hands (or tentacles) and walks them through the various stages of evolution. Although much of the game is spent in the ‘Creature Creator,’ where you design how your being’s look and act, that isn’t a bad thing. It creates the uniqueness that makes this game so great. With plenty of game-play hours and the ability to watch your creations literally evolve, gamers will come back over and over again wanting more.

2. Grand Theft Auto IV: One of the most anticipated games of 2008, GTA4 set a new benchmark for third-person sandbox-style shooters. Although it was the fourth installment of the ‘Grand Theft Auto’ series, it was the first on a next-generation console such as PlayStation 3. New features, a huge and yet familiar city modeled after the Big Apple, and a brand spankin’ new graphics engine make this game loads of car-stealing, gang-shooting, police-chasing fun.

3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: This third-person tactical espionage shooter had people waiting in lines for days before its release. It was the final installment of the incredible ‘Metal Gear’ storyline, and yet the first of its kind for next-generation systems. It features all of the aspects of the previous ‘Metal Gear’ games that gamers have come to love, plus some new and improved fun. A good story line, great graphics, and sound effects that immerse the player in the battle, and long, well thought-out cut scenes makes MGS4 more than just a game; it makes it a self-controlled, explosive cinematic experience.

4. Dead Space: Set in a foreign galaxy on a spaceship that sent out a distress call, ‘Dead Space’ immerses gamers in a dark and eerie atmosphere that will keep you on the edge of your seat. While gamers battle countless enemies in all sorts of environments, including zero gravity, vacuums and gory medical bays, they use a variety of weapons and skills to earn upgrades and money. All of these help the gamer understand what is going on.

5. Rock Band 2: The first ‘Rock Band’ set the bar for a new type of game experience, immersing gamers in the world of musical entertainment by letting them sing, play and drum along to many of their favorite songs. The follow-up to ‘Rock Band’ reinforces the feeling of jamming with your buddies by adding a variety of new features including online challenges, new songs, custom set lists and of course, cooler looking instruments. ‘Rock Band 2′ makes one rockin’ sequel.

6. Burnout Paradise: This addition to the ‘Burnout’ racing franchise opens the doors to next-generation consoles. Its blindingly fast pace, realistic crashes, and ability to create havoc in Paradise City when racing just isn’t enough is just the tip of the iceberg for this destructive racing game.

7. Wii Fit: Although not really a game, this new adaption of the already intriguing Nintendo Wii allows gamers to take exercise to an entirely new level. Over 40 exercises, the ability to compare statistics online and a special board that measures the user’s weight and center of balance help redefine the term ‘exercise.’ Move aside obesity, here comes ‘Wii Fit.’

8. Gears of War 2: Taking its original plot to new heights, this tactical third-person shooter uses impressive graphics, fast pace and gory realism to really get under gamers’ skins. New multiplayer features, new weapons and a variety of new enemies sets ‘Gears of War 2’ apart from the average sequel. It’s loaded with incredible battles and explosive action that keep you coming back for more even after the game is completed. Don’t worry, playing online is just as incredible.

9. Fallout 3: The third installment of the famed ‘Fallout’ series takes place 30 years after the previous game and is a cross between a first-person shooter and role-playing game. It allows gamers to experience the post-apocalyptic era in all its glory. A plethora of weaponry, tools and gadgets and a never-ending number of missions on top of the main story line give ‘Fallout 3’ an uncanny replay value. Gamers can come back time after time and never have the same experience twice.

10. Crysis Warhead: This parallel story line to the graphically intense ‘Crysis’ hit the streets in mid-2008 just to give gamers a little more of the ‘Crysis’ fix they loved from the first game. New weapons, smarter enemies and a slightly different setting than the last game set players in a futuristic battlefield in a way that previous first-person sandbox-style shooters had yet to do. mlbellez@syr.edu