FB : Robinson will not return next season

After weeks of speculation and skirting around the topic of his job security, Greg Robinson’s fate has finally been decided.

Syracuse Director of Athletics Daryl Gross announced via a press release that Robinson will not return next season, confirming what for months has seemed a foregone conclusion. Robinson’s term has been an unequivocal failure, coinciding with the most barren stretch in the history of this once-prominent program.

‘I have made the decision to move our football program in a new direction and have informed Greg Robinson that his tenure as Syracuse’s head coach will end at the conclusion of this season,’ Gross said in the statement.

‘The timing of this announcement allows us to end rumor and speculation and provides us ample time to hire a head coach who has shown the capability to produce a winning football program that the Syracuse nation can be proud of,’ the statement continued. ‘That process will begin immediately and will remain confidential until a selection is made.’

Robinson owns a 9-36 record at Syracuse, including a 3-23 mark against Big East opponents. His .200 winning percentage is the worst among all Syracuse coaches in last 100 years.

The announcement came a day after the Orange lost to Connecticut in SU’s home finale, dropping it to 2-8 on the season with two games remaining.

Robinson will finish out the final two games of Syracuse season – a visit to Notre Dame on Saturday and Cincinnati a week later – before eventually stepping down.

More coming…