FB : Q & A with Cody Catalina

Being a third-string quarterback isn’t easy, which is partly why Syracuse redshirt freshman Cody Catalina decided to adopt a new position: tight end. The Ruffs Dale, Pa., native spoke with The Daily Orange about the transition, being a Steelers fan and his success with a rifle in his hands.

On why he decided to try playing tight end:‘Being the third-string quarterback, unless someone goes down, you probably won’t get a chance to play. So I said, yeah, I’ll switch over, see if I can help the team.’

On how the switch has been going for him:‘I’ve played quarterback since I was eight years old. That’s all I’ve played. It’s different. It’s a lot more contact. Quarterback, you know, is 90 percent mental and then you’ve got some physical stuff throwing the ball or whatever. But at tight end you’ve got to start working out with the linemen and getting that blocking stuff down. It’s been a tough transition but it’s going well.’

On if he thinks he’ll see the field at tight end at all:‘I’ve been working hard, and I’ll see what happens. If the time comes and they need me in the game, I’ll come in and see if I can help the team. If not, I’ll help the team on special teams.’

On how he got started playing quarterback:‘When I was young, my dad started me playing football and it was just something I really liked doing. Ever since I started I never really wanted to stop. It’s been the main part of my life since I was really young.’

On his quarterbacking idols in the NFL:‘Peyton Manning’s a great quarterback. Tom Brady. Ben Roethlisberger, because I’m a big Steelers fan. He’s a different type of quarterback – staying in the pocket, staying and take the hit and make the plays.’

On if his former high school teammate – and current Penn State safety – Nick Sukay trash talks about the Nittany Lions’ success this season: ‘When it comes to that sort of thing, we don’t really talk trash. But when it comes to like NCAA (football) on Xbox, the trash talking comes out.’

On how his high school head coach, William Colosimo, got the nickname ‘Muzzy’:‘I have no idea. I’ve never really asked, to tell you the truth.’

On when was the last time he got see a Greensburg Central Catholic football game:‘Last bye week I got to go home, I went home for my grandpa’s birthday party, so I got to see our game. I got to see all our coaches, and it was nice to get back and talk to them.’

On his other favorite extra curricular activity – hunting: ‘Back home I used to do rifle hunting. I used to hunt deer, turkey and just about everything. Now that I’m up here I kind of got away from it a little bit. But once shotgun deer season comes in I’ll probably go out a few times.’

On his hunting successes:‘When I was 12, I got a pretty nice sized 8-point. Since then I’ve got a few bucks here and there.’

zsschonb@syr.edu