FB: How can SU stop the nation’s leading rusher, Donald Brown?

1. Get push up the middle

Statistically speaking, Nick Santiago and Arthur Jones have been a bright spot for the Syracuse defense this year. The Orange’s starting defensive tackles have combined for 17 tackles for loss and 5.5 of SU’s nine sacks this year.

They’ll need to be even better Saturday to disrupt Connecticut junior tailback Donald Brown, who leads the nation in rushing with 1,406 yards (156.2 yards per game). The best way to do that would be if Jones and Santiago can get into the backfield all day and disrupt the Huskies’ timing.

Brown’s always had speed. But the 5-foot-10, 210-pound back has shown the ability to run between the tackles as well.

‘I’ve always thought he was fast, really quick and a nifty-type runner,’ Syracuse head coach Greg Robinson said. ‘The thing I see now is that there’s a power factor, a more explosive runner this year than I think in years past.’

But if Jones and Santiago can wreak enough havoc, Brown won’t have time to pick and choose his spots.

2. Stop the long runs

Brown has been a constant big-play threat. In six of Connecticut’s nine games this year, Brown has broken off a run of 30 or more yards.

Brown is going to get his yards. But Syracuse’s focus should be bottling up Brown, and keeping him from pulling away for any back-breaking runs.

That task will fall predominantly on Syracuse’s linebackers, whose focus will be on not allowing Brown to escape past the second level.

‘Containing him is our No. 1 goal,’ Syracuse linebacker Jake Flaherty said. ‘If we can stop him, we have a pretty good chance to win this game.’

Then again, Brown can grind teams as well. His most productive performance of the season was a 214-yard outing against Temple on Sept. 6. His longest rush that game was 19 yards.

3. Control the ball

Considering how much the Syracuse defense has struggled, this might be the Orange’s best bet. If SU can win the time of possession battle, it can keep the ball out of Brown’s hands in the first place.

Syracuse had no success controlling the ball against Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights held a 15-minute time of possession advantage in its 35-17 win over the Orange, in part because it kept SU senior tailback Curtis Brinkley grounded. Brinkley had 67 yards on 18 carries.

Getting Brinkley started again – prior to Rutgers, he’d run for 100 or more yards in each of the previous five games – will be a priority, especially with the uncertainty at the quarterback spot. Junior Cameron Dantley’s struggles have led Greg Robinson to say he will consider using two quarterbacks (Dantley and Andrew Robinson) against the Huskies.

Regardless of who plays, the Orange would like to see its offense on the field – and Brown off it.

jsclayto@syr.edu