academy of television arts and sciences

Memorial service honored recent Newhouse graduate

JUNE 4 — A memorial service was held in Newhouse III Tuesday for Alex Taft, a recent Syracuse University graduate who was killed in an automobile accident on May 29.

The 28-year-old, who received his master’s degree in television, radio and film this year, was driving to Los Angeles on Thursday. As he neared Parachute, Col. around 1:15 a.m., a car driving in the wrong direction hit Taft head on, according to a Denver Post report. He died at the scene of the accident.

“He was a funny kid, warm-hearted,” said Richard Dubin, a television, radio and film professor who first met Taft last June at a graduate student lunch, and then traveled with Taft and other TRF grad students to Los Angeles in January.

Along with the memorial in Newhouse III Tuesday, a service was held in Taft’s hometown of Winnetka, Ill. as well.

A finalist for the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences screenwriting internship, Taft was headed to Los Angeles to begin his mentorship with screenwriter Ron Hart for the summer.

To honor Taft, who had aspirations to write comedy for television and film, Dubin created the Facebook group “Alex Taft: A Celebration of Life.” It features photos posted by friends, along with videos and website links about the recent graduate.

“It’s a gathering place you can find instantly,” Dubin said. “You can be anywhere, anytime, and it’s a great place to remember Alex.”