alzheimer's disease

Langford named next dean of College of Arts and Sciences

Syracuse University has filled another hole in deanship lineup.

George Langford was named the next dean of Syracuse University’s College of Arts and Sciences, as announced Friday by Eric Spina, Syracuse University vice chancellor and provost.

The appointment of Langford, a noted neuroscientist and dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, ended the six month search by SU.

Langford replaces outgoing dean Cathy Newton, who announced in November that she would step down at the end of the spring semester to pursue research interests. He was chosen over fellow finalist Donald Hall, chair of the English Department at West Virginia University. Both met with students in April to discuss plans.

While at SU, Langford explained one of his goals is to increase the number of students majoring in and studying science. He also plans to develop a larger selection of courses that would unite many curriculums within his new home college.

“I would want to find a way to bridge interests across departments to bring faculty together,” Langford told students in April. “Could you imagine bringing in a scientist to work with an Americanist to teach science fiction? We would build courses which there are faculty from different disciplines working together.”

This latest dean hire is one of four since March, when Lorraine Branham was named dean of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications after David Rubin’s announcement last April that he would be stepping down after 18 years as dean.

And while Ann Clarke was promoted in March to serve as dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts, she will serve for only 15 months, as a national search for a replacement will begin in September 2009.

Following a nearly 10 month-long search, Laura Steinberg was named dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science in May.

Though Langford’s position does not being until Aug. 11, he is already making plans.

‘It is a great honor to be selected to lead the college as its new dean,’ Langford said. ‘I will work to advance the strengths of the disciplines in the college and seek collaboration with colleagues to build interdisciplinary clusters that bring distinction to the college and the University.’

Langford graduated from Fayetteville State in North Carolina in 1966, received his master’s and Ph.D in cell biology from the Illinois Institute of Technology and received postdoctoral training at the National Institute of Health at the University of Pennsylvania. He has taught at Dartmouth College, the University of North Carolina, the Howard University College of Medicine and the University of Massachusetts at Boston.

His latest research included cell biology and neuroscience, with medical applications to treat Alzheimer’s and age-related conditions, according to his university profile.

“Like those in the college, we are very impressed with George’s intellect, demeanor and leadership ability,” Spina said in Friday’s press release. “We are confident that, as a highly regarded scholar-teacher, he will be focused on advancing the excellence of The College of Arts and Sciences.”