Culture

Q&A with Mick Fury, lead singer of Silent Fury

The Daily Orange had a chance to speak with lead singer Mick Fury, of rock group Silent Fury. The band will be playing Saturday night at Funk n’ Waffles to celebrate the release of its new album ‘Sunday Stilettos.’

Daily Orange: How would you classify your sound?

Mick Fury: It’s danceable, good time rock and roll.

D.O.: Who are some of your influences?

Fury: Zeppelin, definitely. Also, Journey, The Beatles, all of that great stuff. Modern-day though it’s got to be the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The White Stripes – basically fun rock.

D.O.: When did you start getting involved in music?

Fury: I have played my whole life and started getting serious a few years ago…moved to L.A. and then moved to Syracuse a few years ago. I hooked up with (lead guitarist) Jose Varona after seeing him playing at a club. He is the best musician in the band. I went up to him afterward and said he was too f*cking good to not play with me.

D.O. Where and when was your first gig as Silent Fury? What was the experience like?

Fury: It was at Lucy’s on SU hill, and we played it about 18 months ago. We used to be a little crazier. …We had stripper pole, but that’s your first gig. You get drunk and hope everyone has fun. We used to always bring our own portable stripper pole. …There was a lot of unnecessary nudity – the band getting completely drunk. We’ve grown up a bit though, and we practice three times a week. We are very serious, but we still manage to have fun. It’s more about musicianship and making sure people have a good time.

D.O.: Where did the name Silent Fury come from?

Fury: We were called The Fury before, but we realized through various means there were a few bands called The Fury. We came up with Silent Fury because it embodies what we’re going through – all that rage below the surface. You can feel it. It feels under control, but at any moment it could f*cking snap. It’s the live show that is a real expression of that.

D.O.: What are some of your favorite memories as a band?

Fury: We’ve had a lot of shows, and it’s interesting to see what happens. Girls step through speakers and break chords just to get on stage. It’s fun on stage, but when you get the bill the next day, it’s bad. It’s nice to have songs touch you in certain ways. You remember the people who come up and shake your hand on stage. When they say that your songs meant a lot to them. It’s nice having your songs connect to people.

D.O.: What do you want for people to get out of your music?

Fury: So much of our music is so personal. Being in the cool rock star world: Tumultuous relationships – the material is all drawn from that. It’s all sincere. I don’t want to be the stereotype. You get in a lot of interesting situations being us, as rock stars. Our drummer is Cuban, but he’s the best f*cking drummer in the Northeast. Everyone has got to look at my ugly mug all night, but it’s Jose who brings so much. He adds a lot of interest to our show that you don’t get from most.

akalliso@syr.edu