Misinterpreting religion crosses borders, bounds

It is a disturbing time in the world of religion, and it has been that way for a while. More and more each day, the world is informed by news outlets of tensions between religions or mockery from critics. Attacking the heart of a religion – physically or verbally – is more than a threat or playful banter; it is an alarming matter.

Recently, Yunis al-Astal, a Muslim Cleric and member of the Palestinian terrorist organization Hamas, said Rome, or ‘the capital of Catholics,’ would ‘be conquered, just like Constantinople was, as was prophesized by our prophet Muhammad,’ according to a report by Fox News on April 14.

It is not difficult to see why hatred exists between religions after hearing the remarks of al-Astal. However, that does not make the resentment of any religion justifiable.

‘I feel neither the desire nor necessity to apologize for extremists of any kind,’ said Yusuf Abdul-Qadir, a senior and president of the Muslim Student Association. ‘I am

repulsed by those who are of the perspective that taking archaic and premature and

sparced looks at the Quran to justify violent responses. But, I am equally repulsed by

those who show a watered down version of Islam to please outside groups and to fit into

some mold of acceptance.’

Religious tensions and mockery are not just coming from the opposite side of the world, but also from the United States.

On the April 11 broadcast of his show, ‘Real Time’ with Bill Maher, the religious skeptic Maher ranted, ‘I’d like to tip off law enforcement to an even larger child-abusing religious cult. Its leader also has a compound, and this guy not only operates outside the bounds of the law, but he used to be a Nazi and he wears funny hats! That’s right; the pope is coming to America.’

If Maher wants to play the ‘holier-than-thou’ card and point the finger when it comes to child abuse, he might want to sit back and take a dose of humility.

In the transcript of an interview with Craig Ferguson on CBS Late Night May 4, 2005, the issue of Michael Jackson’s alleged child molesting was brought up. Maher defended Jackson by saying, ‘Even the people who are testifying against him, they’re saying that he serviced them. They didn’t service him. … If I had a choice between being savagely beaten and being gently masturbated by a pop star. … It’s just me.’

If we are going to inherit the ignorant ‘black-and-white’ criteria of Bill Maher when it comes to judging others, then he is in the same boat of those he criticizes.

It’s easy to judge a religion negatively while being uninformed of its past, as Maher does.

Yes, the pope was a part of the Nazi regime. But he was only involved because the Nazis did what they did best – they forced him, according to an article published in The New York Times in April 2005. And yes, there have been child molestations by priests, but there are more than one billion Catholics in the world, according to the Catholic World News’ Web site.

To group any religion into one negative category based on a select few is not only ignorant, it’s ignorant and shallow.

‘As a Muslim, it is inherent that upon proper following of Islam, one would have the utmost respect and decency toward others of different religions,’ Abdul-Qadir said.

He added, ‘Interfaith dialogue is one thing that I enjoy immensely, as communication leads to understanding; and understanding leads to respect; and respect leads to living together peacefully.’

If there is one unifying ideal of all religions, it is that messages are sent intended to be followed. Yet, it is up to the listener on how such messages are interpreted. The ones who misinterpret them may take it to an unfortunate extreme.

Do not let their views represent any religion as a whole, and do not let them make you hate another’s faith. Everyone has their own religious beliefs. Whether you believe in God or practice atheism, the choice is yours.