MBB : Greene will enter NBA Draft

April 9, 2:31 p.m. — Donte Greene has declared for the NBA Draft, according to a statement released by Syracuse athletics.

Greene informed SU head coach Jim Boeheim today of his intent.

‘After discussing my future plans with my family and Coach Boeheim, I’ve decided to declare for the NBA draft,’ Greene said in the statement. ‘The Syracuse coaching staff is going to gather information on my behalf and help me begin that process.’

There will be no press conference today and Greene, along with Boeheim, will not be available for further comment.

Syracuse Sports Information Director Pete Moore confirmed that Greene has not hired an agent. By NBA rules, Greene can withdraw his name by June 16 provided he hasn’t hired an agent.

The NBA Draft is June 26.

Greene averaged 17.7 points per game in his freshman season, the second most for a first-year player in Syracuse history, behind only Carmelo Anthony’s 22.2 in 2002-03. Greene is the first player to declare for the NBA early since Anthony did in 2003.

After a report on Draftexpress.com Tuesday night said a source close to Greene said he would declare for the draft, Syracuse assistant coach Rob Murphy told The Daily Orange the report was incorrect and that Greene had not informed the staff of his intentions as of late Tuesday night.

Return to dailyorange.com for updates.