Dirty little secrets

IF YOU WATCH:

What: ‘Gossip Girl’ post-strike premiere

When: Tonight at 8 p.m.

Where: CW

It’s been awhile since ‘The OC’ gripped those yearning for teenage angst, romance and debauchery. But let’s face it, only the first season of ‘The OC’ was good, and we’ve been waiting for something like it that isn’t ‘Laguna Beach.’ Luckily, ‘OC’ creator Josh Schwartz came up with ‘Gossip Girl,’ (based on a book series) which brings the drama to New York City, in the posh Upper East Side. So far it’s about as good as the debut season of the ‘OC,’ but without the inconvenience of a rabid mass following. So who are these New Yorkers, and how do they stack up to their California predecessors? Let’s just say there are a lot more plaid skirts and a lot fewer wifebeaters.

Name: Serena van der Woodsen

Role: Bad girl gone good

Romantic entanglements: Hooked up with her best friend’s boyfriend, Nate Archibald, currently dating nice guy Dan Humphrey

Seen on the Upper East Side: Fresh from boarding school, Serena returns to the Upper East Side a changed girl. Serena and BFF Blair Waldorf get in a tiff when Blair finds out Serena hooked up with her boyfriend, but their friendship remained intact, even as Serena fell for Brooklynite Dan and their relationship became (almost) sickeningly perfect.

Better than ‘OC’ counterpart: It’s a tough call, Summer Roberts turned out to be pretty lovable as Seth Cohen’s girlfriend, and Serena is just a tad more annoying.

Name: Blair Waldorf

Role: Resident mean girl

Romantic entanglements: Had dated Nate since first grade, hooked up with sleazy Chuck Bass, currently unattached

Seen on the Upper East Side: Blair ruled the Upper East Side with a nail-polished fist until Gossip Girl (the show’s narrator) let the word out that she hooked up with Nate and Chuck in the same week. She’s trying to recover from an eating disorder, and her controlling mom isn’t helping much. Blair is currently friendless, save for Serena, and she almost moved to Paris to stay with her gay dad just to get away from all the gossip.

Better than ‘OC’ counterpart: It isn’t that hard to be better than Marissa Cooper.

Name: Nate Archibald

Role: Obligatory handsome blonde guy

Romantic entanglements: Practically betrothed to Blair since birth, hooked up with Serena on top of a bar, now unattached

Seen on the Upper East Side: Nate constantly hangs out with his best friend Chuck. Nate has dreams of going to USC, but his coke-snorting dad wants him to follow his footsteps to Dartmouth. Nate is in love with Serena and pines obviously from afar.

Better than ‘OC’ counterpart: Nate talks more than Ryan Atwood, but has zero personality.

Name: Chuck Bass

Role: Evil guy who can’t stop hitting on girls

Romantic entanglements: Hooked up with Blair a couple of times, sexually harasses any girl with a pulse.

Seen on the Upper East Side: Chuck has a great wardrobe, from his pink suits to his signature polka-dot scarf. He drinks, smokes and sleeps his way around Manhattan and even helped open a burlesque club. Chuck has great chemistry with Blair, and together they could probably take over New York City.

Better than ‘OC’ counterpart: There really is no ‘OC’ equivalent for Chuck, except perhaps any character who got in the way of the epic Seth/Summer romance.

Name: Dan Humphrey

Role: Obligatory good guy but is kind of emo about it

Romantic entanglements: Loved/stalked Serena from afar until ‘coincidences’ brought them together

Seen on the Upper East Side: Dan actually lives in lowly Brooklyn but ventures to the Upper East Side to attend school. His relationship with Serena is going well, almost too well, despite interference from his obnoxious best friend Vanessa. He really wants to go to Dartmouth, probably to major in creative writing.

Better than ‘OC?’ counterpart: Seth Cohen set a high standard, and Dan cannot compare, no matter how dorky his football bed sheets look.

eaconnor@syr.edu