Track event integrates sports with education

The auditorium seats in the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing at Manley Field House Wednesday weren’t filled with reporters, coaches, quarterbacks or linemen – only a slew of 10 and 11-year-olds with their teachers and tour guides.

Frazer Elementary School students visited SU as part of the sports management SynerCuse program. The event, entitled ‘Getting on Track,’ focused on getting students to read and concentrate on academic work.

But the day included a variety of athletes, guest speakers and tours of the SU campus to show the students a different side of education.

The students received an athletic demonstration from the reigning Big East Heptathlon Champion Jillian Drouin, who earned All-American status last season. The education senior has not only excelled in track and field, but has also maintained a high academic standard as well. Drouin was named the Big East Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year Feb. 5. She was the sole recipient of the award and selected from more than 400 athletes.

The students watched SU athletes perform the shot put, javelin, hurdles, pole vaulting and high jump events. Chris Fox, head coach of track and field, addressed the students and encouraged them to not only chase their athletic dreams but also focus on their education.

‘It’s important to do good in school and do well as an athlete,’ Fox said. ‘A whole bunch of doors will open up for you. But it has got to be mostly focusing in school.’

Fox’s advice was displayed by his own student athletes who addressed the students. Nana Sang-Bender, a junior distance runner originally from the Congo, spoke to the kids about the opportunities sports and academics have given her.

‘In order to succeed, you need to dream big,’ Sang-Bender said. ‘You must be willing to work extremely hard and give it all you’ve got.’

The students had the chance to explore the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing at Manley Field House from top to bottom.

The young students also displayed their own presentational skills at the Ann and Milton Stevenson Educational Center. Groups of two to four students spoke about inspirational black track and field athletes, including Carl Lewis, Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Barney Ewell.

After the presentation, the students were given the opportunity to feel like the idols as they received medals of their own for their presentations. Each student donned the circular object for the trip around the campus.

‘It’s definitely important to get the kids out here and give them the chance to see the student athletes,’ said Jina Song, co-general manager for the SynerCuse program. ‘We want them have the idea to use sports in a positive way and for college as well. They need to know that it’s not a pie in the sky idea and that they can excel.’

The students had opportunities to explore interesting Syracuse trophies, old photographs, double-sided lockers and lounges, but the trip was still educational.

As students explored the training room, Ryan Cabiles, director of strength and conditioning for basketball and volleyball, explained the various workout methods and purposes of an assortment of equipment.

They also visited the weight training room, women’s basketball lounge, Manley Arena, Football Auditorium and the Hall of Champions. Some even got the chance to catch a glimpse of SU forward Paul Harris as he demonstrated the use of a medicine ball.

After a quick pizza lunch break and a speech by SynerCuse adviser and sport management Director Michael Veley, the students were whisked away for the second tour of the day at the Carrier Dome.

But just as soon as the day had begun, it was time to head back home.

‘I thought (the day) was good,’ said 10-year-old Annie, a member of the Frazer Elementary fifth grade class. ‘Doing the presentations was the best part. I learned that if you work hard you can do anything.’

hscrowle@syr.edu