New summer program takes students to Bollywood

SUAbroad has added a new summer program that gives Syracuse University students the opportunity to intern in one of the largest film industries worldwide – Bollywood.

‘Bollywood has become this buzzword,’ said Tula Goenka, director of the Bollywood program in India and a professor in the television, radio and film department (TRF).

‘A student, whether they are of South Asian descent or not, can really open up the world for themselves by doing this because Hollywood studios are looking to invest in Bollywood,’ she said.

The four-week program, held in conjunction with Whistling Woods International Institute for Film, Television, Animation and Media Arts in India, includes an orientation week and a three-week internship from mid-May through mid-June, according to the SUAbroad Web site.

Bollywood, a combination of the words Bombay and Hollywood, is the nickname given to the film industry based out of Mumbai (formerly Bombay) in India.

Today, the Bollywood industry produces more films per year than Hollywood, and its films are widely popular throughout India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and other parts of Asia and Europe. In recent years, Bollywood films have also grown in popularity in the United States.

Although the program is geared toward TRF and Visual and Performing Arts film graduate and undergraduate students, students of other majors could participate with director approval.

Undergraduate students will receive two credits, and graduate students will receive three credits for their time spent in Mumbai.

No prior language knowledge will be necessary, because English will be used in many places that students will be working, Goenka said.

The details of the internships have not yet been finalized because Goenka wants to tailor the internships to student interest.

‘Once I have the applications and I know who is interested in what, then I can start really figuring out which other filmmakers and which other production companies or newspapers or whoever we’re going to try and contact,’ said Goenka.

This project is possible because of her industry connections, she said.

Goenka said she hopes to use her connections to get directors, producers, actors and actresses to speak with the students.

Students would have the opportunity to go to movie premieres, music launches and any other event within the film industry, she added.

Nell Bartkowiak, assistant director for SUAbroad, said that this program is the first of its kind.

‘We’ve had students work with companies that might produce documentaries or might produce films,’ she said. ‘But, to my knowledge, we haven’t had any students working under a director and had hands on involvement in the production of films.’

Christina Kolozsvary, a junior VPA film major has already committed to a summer film program in Africa, but she said, ‘to be able to do Bollywood another year would be unbelievable.’

‘I think a lot of the VPA kids would be interested because our film program is really international,’ she said. ‘I think all of us would value an international perspective.’

Although the program is being met with student enthusiasm, some say that they would not be interested in the program.

‘I’d rather be in Hollywood than Bollywood,’ said Lauren Muscato, a sophomore TRF major.

The program will cost approximately $2,000 in addition to the cost of the credit hours. The application deadline is Friday, March 7, and the program has a limited space of 10 to 12 people.

lemigaki@syr.edu