Outdoor activities thaw winter boredom

Recreation Services is taking advantage of the snow on the ground. Syracuse University’s Department of Recreation Services offers various activities for the winter season. Throughout the spring semester, Recreation Services will offer a ski and snowboarding trip, moonlight snowshoe hike and bobsled/luge Rocket trip

Scott Catucci has been an assistant director of the Department of Recreation Services for three years and is the first full-time individual to run the program. He is responsible for overseeing the activities and helps the department decide whether or not to provide the same activity again based on its popularity.

‘If an activity fills up, the department is definitely offering it again,’ Catucci said.

The department’s October horseback riding trip filled up, the program added two more trips to accommodate demand.

‘I don’t like to turn people away and say, `Sorry this trip is full,” Catucci said.

Upcoming Recreation Services’ programs:

Ski and snowboarding trip

The ski and snowboarding trip is the longest-running outdoor program with the largest turnout. It is held at Toggenburg Mountain Winter Sports Center. Trips are on Friday and Saturday nights from 5:00-10:00 p.m. and registration can be completed online through the Recreation Services Web site.

Prices for SU undergraduate students are $90 without rentals, $150 with ski rentals and $180 with snowboard rentals. For ESF/other SU cardholders the trip costs $110 without rentals, $170 with ski rentals, and $200 with snowboard rentals.

Bobsled/luge rocket trip

The bobsled and luge trip takes place Saturday. Students attending this trip travel to Lake Placid, N.Y. The trip includes: a tour of the 1980 Winter Olympics Museum, a view of the Adirondacks, a chairlift/elevator ride to the top of the Olympic Ski Jumping Complex, lunch at an Olympic Venue and free time to explore Lake Placid.

The trip is $50 for undergraduate students and $100 for all other ESF/SU cardholders. Sign up for the trip is located in Archbold Gymnasium Room 241.

Moonlight Snowshoe Hike

Take a snowshoe hike on Valentine’s Day. The trip is offered Thursday, Feb. 14, from 6:00-9:30 p.m. Catucci said the date of the snowshoe trip is based on the full moon schedule. The trip includes a guided trail hike and has a $5, refundable cost, for undergraduate students and $3 for ESF students and all other SU cardholders. To sign up for this activity visit the Recreation Services office in 241 Archbold Gymnasium.

mggallag@syr.edu