Syracuse snow provides lifelong benefits

‘What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.’

This quote is originally credited to the powerful philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, but I like to think it came from Rambo. Either way, it is the perfect quote to keep in mind when you are walking to class in these ‘White Fang’ (Old school movie about a wolf and a kid) snow conditions.

As Syracuse University students, we have the benefits of a great education, an aesthetically pleasing new library café, decent sports teams and a vibrant social scene. And most importantly, we have copious amounts of snow.

These swirling white flakes may be more annoying than that kid who asks stupid questions in every class, but unlike that kid, these white little invaders from the sky are making you stronger each day.

Think how easy your life would be if you went to school in Florida, always sunny, gorgeous people always wearing shorts and T-shirts and chilling by pristine blue waters while waves gently lapping against the shore.

And while that sounds enticing, we are getting chiseled into grizzled veterans before we even hit the work force. You think in five years, some boss screaming at you will stress you out? Compared to trekking through arctic conditions to get to class, a psycho boss is child’s play. And even though I frequently moan and swear about the cold, I firmly believe the blizzards that plague our school are a blessing in disguise.

As for those ‘students’ going to school in those tropical climates, they will be completely flabbergasted. They will be freaking out, and you can look at them and say ‘I was wearing five layers when you were walking to class in board shorts, who’s tougher now brah?’

So Syracuse, don’t fear the snow! Go ‘acquire’ some trays from the dining hall and sled down the hill in front of Hall of Languages. Make a snow angel while you wait for the bus on south campus. Make a snowman on the quad for everyone to see. Construct an igloo behind your house or dorm and enjoy your People’s Place beverage of choice inside it. Take some snow inside and use it to keep your Keystone lights on ice. Throw a snowball, because you know all those warm climate kids are not throwing sand balls at each other.

Unless you are streaking and sleeping in the snow, the snow will not kill you. It is as much a part of our school as Otto the mascot and the scribbles on the wall in the bathroom at Chuck’s. You knew what you were signing up for when you decided to enter this climate, so don’t fear it.

Embrace the snow. It’s here to stay. Now let’s go make that snow sculpture.

Tim Goessling is a senior television, radio, and film major and will crush you at a board game of your choosing.