Studying abroad provides new perspectives on living in America

I’m back! (Cue National Anthem)

Despite the less-than-glamorous weather that reminds me constantly of the more temperate climate I left behind, it’s great to be home. And as the hundreds of other Syracuse University students who went abroad last semester can probably attest to, I’m feeling at least 10 years older than I was the last time I was here.

It could be the result of all the living I squeezed into those four glorious months, or all the sleepless nights I spent in hostels. But I like to think it’s because the semester I spent in London was the biggest growth experience of my life.

Was it easy? No. Was I homesick? At times. But was it the best thing I’ve ever done? You can bet your SUpercard money it was.

Basically, if you have the opportunity to study abroad, even for just a summer session take it. Seriously, go.

Take out a loan. Sell a kidney. Do whatever it takes to get yourself off this sheltered and frigid hill and experience the way the rest of the world lives. I promise you won’t regret it.

What makes studying abroad so special is not only the great sense of accomplishment you feel from tackling foreign lands, but the influence it has on your global perspective. I learned the world is a big place, and every move the United States makes and every time it stumbles, the repercussions are felt everywhere. Many Europeans are more familiar with American politics than many Americans are, leaving U.S. citizens with an enormous responsibility.

With that said, I will never look at the United States the same way again. Throughout the semester I felt my love/hate relationship with the United States teeter back and forth eventually land somewhere closer to love. No matter where I went in Europe, McDonalds, Coca Cola, Britney Spears and other American staples were never hard to find. Seeing America’s influence couldn’t help but make me feel a little proud to be American. And in these politically confusing times, that’s a welcome feeling.

‘Studying abroad, you come to appreciate certain things about the U.S.,’ said junior magazine journalism major Lara Westwood, who studied in Strasbourg, France last fall. ‘Even just when you’re looking for a store that’s open past 5 p.m. But you learn to adapt and appreciate the differences.’

I’m not the only one who’s excited about studying abroad. It’s more popular now than it’s ever been, and the number of students who chose to study for any length of time in a distant country has been growing steadily each semester.

Nell Bartkowiak, the assistant director of Summer Programs and Program Development, said a couple thousand students study abroad each semester. The university recently added programs in Santiago Chile, Beijing China, and is looking to start a program in Africa.

‘Students are always interested in expanding their horizons,’ Bartkowiak said. ‘The SU campus has a lot to offer, but the ability to give students the chance to study in another country, even just for a semester, is definitely important and exciting.’

A semester abroad is not for everyone, but if you feel the need for adventure crawling beneath your skin, perhaps you should consider relocating your academic studies for a while. It may be the best use of your tuition money while here.